Mobileread
Cost of eBooks vs dead-tree books
#1  ownedbycats 12-25-2020, 02:21 PM
Something confusing. eBooks seem they should be cheaper - the costs tend to be one-time to produce the file, and then whatever costs there are to host the file on a web-server (or letting Amazon/Kobo do it and take a cut).

Seems like it'd be less than printing the book and handling the logistics of getting it out to the retailer.

Still, the eBooks are commonly more expensive. What gives?

#2  hobnail 12-25-2020, 02:41 PM
You don't think the author should be compensated?

On Amazon the Kindle books are rarely more expensive than the printed books.

Also, with printed books the publisher controls the price, with ebooks I think the price is more under the author's control.

#3  Apache 12-25-2020, 02:43 PM
How many threads have we had on this subject?
Apache

#4  issybird 12-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Quote ownedbycats
Something confusing. eBooks seem they should be cheaper - the costs tend to be one-time to produce the file, and then whatever costs there are to host the file on a web-server (or letting Amazon/Kobo do it and take a cut).

Seems like it'd be less than printing the book and handling the logistics of getting it out to the retailer.

Still, the eBooks are commonly more expensive. What gives?
Just speaking theoretically, why should something’s being cheaper to produce mean it sells for less? Suppose people are willing to pay even more for ebooks (as it seems they are, according to your postulate). Why not charge what the market will bear?

Books are fungible, but they’re not all that fungible. It’s not like selling spuds.

#5  binaryhermit 12-25-2020, 02:54 PM
Quote hobnail
Also, with printed books the publisher controls the price, with ebooks I think the price is more under the author's control.
Actually, (at least in the US) dead tree books the retailer pays wholesale and the retailer charges whatever they want, for the most part, the publisher sets eBook prices thanks to Apple illegally colluding with publishers back in the day.

#6  DNSB 12-25-2020, 03:39 PM
Quote hobnail
You don't think the author should be compensated?

On Amazon the Kindle books are rarely more expensive than the printed books.

What does charging more for an ebook that a paperback have to do with the author's compensation? Or is this just a red herring?

If you are talking about indie publishing, the author has more control though Amazon has some nasty habits when it comes to sales and prices. For the Big 4/5 and their cousins, the royalties are set in the contract but the prices are under the publisher's control.

#7  Uncle Robin 12-25-2020, 03:50 PM
Quote Apache
Apache
And how many pages in each thread? (for a given definition of "page", of course)

#8  DNSB 12-25-2020, 04:00 PM
Quote Apache
Apache
Quote Uncle Robin
And how many pages in each thread? (for a given definition of "page", of course)
Too many threads with too many pages no matter how you define a page.

#9  DiapDealer 12-25-2020, 04:10 PM
My standard response: I value ebooks more, so I refuse to compare their prices to the price of a format I value much less.

#10  Sirtel 12-25-2020, 04:48 PM
Quote DiapDealer
My standard response: I value ebooks more, so I refuse to compare their prices to the price of a format I value much less.
I don't even look at paper book prices. But I have a hard limit to how much I'm willing to pay for an ebook. 10 €, no more. More than this, I just wait for the price to drop.

Next »  Last »  (1/31)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register