Mobileread
Best option for GUTENBERG? /free ebooks
#1  RodRiquez 12-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Hi there,

I've had some bad experiences with DRM & paid digital downloads, so first up I absolutely will not pay for digital content - If I want a book, music or movie I buy a physical copy.

Now with that out of the way ~

After discovering Project Gutenberg! there is a whole world of classic works I would like to explore & it seems an eReader would be a good way to do this.
I don't own a mobile phone or touch screen device, so this will be a new purchase.

The primary use would be to read free Gutenberg or other free ebooks at night in bed; browse Gutenberg & read with the minimum of hassle (So I'd like to avoid getting up to convert files & connect USB cables, etc.)

I imagine the device would need wi-fi (of course) & probably a web browser & dictionary would be useful - but otherwise im not interested in apps like email or messenger - I won't use them at all.

I am not adverse to a Kindle, but I heard it does not support .epub easily which is the entire point - it may make a Kindle a bad option - perhaps I am wrong?
or maybe I'm better off with a Android Tablet? What do you suggest?

I like it to be a cheaper option under ¥10,000 (£80?) if possible.

I am probably asking too much or my usage doesn't exist - but I thought I would ask anyway - thanks for your time & help!

#2  Quoth 12-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Calibre (MacOS, Windows, Linux). Import DRM free "Kindle"/Mobi or epub and output as desired, even after fixing paragraph style, punctuation, fonts.

Kindle costs more if Advert free. The Kobo Libra may be a bit over £80, but Kobo has better annotation than Kindle (Kobo Utilities on Calibre, though Annotation option on Calibre does support Kindle and Kobo) and the 7" 300 dpi is superior to 6".

Gutenberg supplies mobi, a Kindle format, and epub2 for almost every book. Sometimes I find the mobi+images better than epub version and convert it to epub. I have all the ebooks in my Calibre Library as epub2 and also "dual mobi", which works on old Kindles as KF7 and on later Kindles as KF8=azw3 via "publisher option" under fonts. Or sometimes automatically, but with Kindle substitute fonts.

See also Apprentice Alf plug in for Calibre, for YOUR OWN bought ebooks.

Not all Amazon ebooks have DRM, if saved via PC download for USB transfer.

Never use direct eBook reader to a bookstore, always download to PC and transfer via USB.

Don't buy Google Playstore ebooks even if the Publisher requested DRM free.

#3  Sirtel 12-18-2020, 09:40 AM
Quote Quoth

Don't buy Google Playstore ebooks even if the Publisher requested DRM free.
Why? If the publisher requested DRM-free, then they will download as DRM-free epubs. I've bought many.

#4  RodRiquez 12-18-2020, 09:40 AM
Thanks Quoth for your very useful info. (Great avatar btw)

I should have increased my budget a little, but the forum wouldn't allow an edit, so £120-ish is fine. I saw a basic Kindle for £80 & the paperwhite for £116 on my regional Amazon store - both being the 'No Ads' version which I would prefer.

I had assumed USB transfer with computer an unnecessary step for a device with wifi.
Why do you say never do that?

#5  Galunid 12-18-2020, 09:59 AM
I'd suggest Kobo Clara HD/Kobo Nia. Nia is cheaper, but it has lower resolution and doesn't have warmth adjustment (orange leds). Both are able to run KOReader where you can download the books directly from Guttenberg when https://github.com/gbnewby/gutenbergsite/issues/10 gets fixed ^_^

I own Clara HD for ~6 months, and I'm really happy with it so far.

#6  issybird 12-18-2020, 10:36 AM
Quote Galunid
I'd suggest Kobo Clara HD/Kobo Nia. Nia is cheaper, but it has lower resolution and doesn't have warmth adjustment (orange leds). Both are able to run KOReader where you can download the books directly from Guttenberg when https://github.com/gbnewby/gutenbergsite/issues/10 gets fixed ^_^.
You can download Gutenberg books directly to Kobos using the web browser. You don’t need KOReader.

#7  Sirtel 12-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Quote RodRiquez
I had assumed USB transfer with computer an unnecessary step for a device with wifi.
Why do you say never do that?
Of course you can do that. Some people just don't want their ereader to be connected to the internet, ever. That's a personal quirk.

#8  4691mls 12-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Or you can download the books on your computer and then copy them over to your ereader via USB. No wifi required on the ereader to do it this way.

#9  4691mls 12-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Doesn't Gutenberg.org have Kindle versions of their books? I don't have a Kindle myself but I thought I'd seen Kindle options when browsing Gutenberg.

#10  DNSB 12-18-2020, 01:05 PM
Personally, I don't let Gutenberg books on my ereaders until I have cleaned them up. The layout, CSS, file structure tend to be atrocious. Who creates an epub with 5 files containing 3.5 chapters each?

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register