Mobileread
What's with the Paranoia?
#1  JSWolf 11-23-2020, 05:39 PM
I'm reading about more and more people not wanting to register their Reader because they are paranoid. What's with this growing level of paranoia?

When you don't register, you don't get all the features of your Reader and I know in the case of Kobo, the firmware can change such that fake registering fails and you have to start over.

I've been registered with Sony, Kobo, and Amazon. I've never had a single issue with being registered. And then there are all the eBookstores I've been registered with. If you want to read commercial eBooks, you do need to be registered someplace. You just cannot do otherwise.

So why the paranoia? What's the reason for it?

#2  John F 11-23-2020, 06:27 PM
Here you go:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/se...rchid=15015529

#3  Gardenman 11-23-2020, 08:18 PM
Quote John F
Here you go:

Click on link it says no match.

#4  binaryhermit 11-23-2020, 09:50 PM
I suspect it's because there was an article semi-recently about the extent of data Amazon collects and stores.

#5  fjtorres 11-24-2020, 07:09 AM
Quote binaryhermit
I suspect it's because there was an article semi-recently about the extent of data Amazon collects and stores.
And that is news?

They've been doing it for 25 years and there's still people who didn't know it?
Considering how often the naysayers bring it up hardly a day goes by without a mention.

#6  John F 11-24-2020, 07:46 AM
Quote Gardenman
Click on link it says no match.
It was search of "JSWolf" and "paranoia".

#7  JSWolf 11-24-2020, 07:47 AM
Quote John F
Here you go:

You cannot post a search result as it expires.

#8  JSWolf 11-24-2020, 07:48 AM
Quote binaryhermit
But this is not just about Amazon. There are people with all different kinds of Readers who are paranoid. Kobo, Amazon, B&N, Pocketbook, etc. And this is not a recent thing. Paranoia in registering a Reader has been going on for loner then that article.

#9  rantanplan 11-24-2020, 08:00 AM
Quote binaryhermit
I find this quite interesting, people want all those features like whispersync etc., that require extensive data collection but are at the same time super surprised that amazon does extensive data collection and do research on it.

#10  John F 11-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Quote rantanplan
I find this quite interesting, people want all those features like whispersync etc., that require extensive data collection but are at the same time super surprised that amazon does extensive data collection and do research on it.
I wonder how much of an intersection there is between those who want "all those features" and those who don't want to register? My impression is that, for those who have posted on MR not wanting to register, the overlap is relatively small.

Next »  Last »  (1/42)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register