Mobileread
I'm curious...
#21  rkomar 10-17-2020, 12:36 PM
Quote DrNefario
Maybe it is a natural consequence of the change in technology and ease of access, and I'm too old and set in my ways, but that's how I am. If I've got something nice, I want to make it last.
Same here. For me, it's a combination of prolonging the pleasure and not wanting to get tired of the story. I also behave the same way towards food.

#22  jgaiser 10-17-2020, 05:36 PM
Quote JSWolf
Can you come up with an example of a series with standalone books? And can you prove they really are standalone?
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. All books are self-contained and can be read starting anywhere within the series.

#23  rkomar 10-17-2020, 07:27 PM
Quote jgaiser
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. All books are self-contained and can be read starting anywhere within the series.
Didn't we have this discussion in great detail about a year ago? Some take "stand-alone" to mean that all the information you need is in the book, others take it to mean the opposite of being in a series. No arguments convinced anyone to change camps.

#24  ZodWallop 10-17-2020, 09:51 PM
Quote JSWolf
Can you come up with an example of a series with standalone books? And can you prove they really are standalone?
The Disaster series by Max Allan Collins is one.

Each book is a standalone. The books have no recurring characters. The books all share a similar theme.

#25  zakman 10-17-2020, 11:30 PM
Depends on the series, and my mood while reading them.

For example, tried to binge Stross's The Laundry Files series earlier this year, in preparation for the latest in the series. Got about three-quarters of the way through before I kinda of petered out - taken all at once like that, the increasing grimness of the storyline was getting to me, and I had to set them aside for a bit.

On the other hand, picked up Rivers of London and enjoyed it so much I'd bought the next six books in the series almost before I'd finished it, and proceeded to binge them in about two weeks or so.

#26  JJ Johnson 10-18-2020, 12:35 AM
Never. I can honestly say that not one single time in my entire life have I done that.

#27  kyteflyer 10-18-2020, 12:45 PM
I like to binge if the series is relatively short... 2-3 books... if longer, I’ll read 3 or so and then take a break with something else.

#28  pwalker8 10-18-2020, 01:15 PM
It depends on the series. I've found series where I read the first book, liked it, bought the next and kept going until I ran out of books. I've read other series where I read the first couple of books, like them, but after a couple more, it's obvious the series isn't really going anywhere.

I will frequently binge read series when I re-read the series. I can't think of any series that I re-read that I only read a couple at a time. Authors who can't hold my interest more than a couple books at a time are rarely re-read.

#29  maddz 10-18-2020, 01:58 PM
Quote pwalker8
Authors who can't hold my interest more than a couple books at a time are rarely re-read.
I'm with you on that one. I've just read the Roberta Gellis Magdalene la Bâtarde Mysteries straight through and I'm not sorry I did so. They're a light but enjoyable historical crime series set at the start of The Anarchy (so rather reminiscent of Brother Cadfael). On the other hand, I doubt I'll re-read them.

#30  DNSB 10-18-2020, 04:36 PM
Quote maddz
I'm with you on that one. I've just read the Roberta Gellis Magdalene la Bâtarde Mysteries straight through and I'm not sorry I did so. They're a light but enjoyable historical crime series set at the start of The Anarchy (so rather reminiscent of Brother Cadfael). On the other hand, I doubt I'll re-read them.
I'm in the midst of re-reading the Brother Cadfael series. So far up to The Hermit of Eyton Forest.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register