Mobileread
Are E-ink devices still a thing?
#131  Luffy 09-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Quote pdurrant
All hard disks will fail. The only question is when.

Data kept on one hard disk or in one place is data you must be happy to lose.
But I'm not willing to lose my books. Also, ever since I got a PC for the first time in 1998, no hard disk of mine has failed. I will have, nevertheless, to change the devices each 3 or 4 years. I can't afford cloud.

#132  theducks 09-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Multi-terabyte USB3 (they should work on USB2, just slower) Hard drives are available for (well) under US$100
They are way faster than common pen drives (flash)

The down side, is some laptops can not supply enough power ( use a powered USB hub)
Flash also does not give warning when they are about to fail. Works, then it does not.

#133  Luffy 09-21-2020, 03:03 PM
My books are on multi terabyte disks.

#134  Sirtel 09-21-2020, 03:54 PM
Quote Luffy
But I'm not willing to lose my books. Also, ever since I got a PC for the first time in 1998, no hard disk of mine has failed. I will have, nevertheless, to change the devices each 3 or 4 years. I can't afford cloud.
There's also a chance of fire to think of, even if it's a small one. So one of your back-ups should be offsite, but still updated regularly.

#135  tomsem 09-21-2020, 05:47 PM
Alternatively newer DVD and BD burners support M-DISC, which provide greater archival media longevity (up to 1000 years). Of course, you’ll still need some sort of disc reader to extract the data in 1000 years.

#136  Luffy 09-21-2020, 06:13 PM
Quote tomsem
Alternatively newer DVD and BD burners support M-DISC, which provide greater archival media longevity (up to 1000 years). Of course, youÂ’ll still need some sort of disc reader to extract the data in 1000 years.
A question nobody asked

#137  ZodWallop 09-21-2020, 07:37 PM
Quote theducks
Multi-terabyte USB3 (they should work on USB2, just slower) Hard drives are available for (well) under US$100
I keep my books, music, etc. on a Western Digital My Passport hard drive and back it up a couple of times a week to a Western Digital My Book. Every few years I replace one, then the other and send the old one to a friend in California.

I'm waiting for the day when Google Drive or OneDrive offers a cheap enough option to back up everything online.

#138  Thasaidon 09-22-2020, 06:59 AM
Quote Luffy
Thank you, JSWolf and Sirtel. Maybe hard disks fail in cold countries only? Not equatorial islands like my country.
I am in the Philippines temperatures usually 30 to 40 degrees celsius, humidity 80 per cent. The hard drive in my PC died earlier this year. I have had two hard drives fail in work PCs (in the UK)over the last twenty years,

A mechanical hard drive like ALL mechanical devices WILL fail eventually. The more complicated it is usually the quicker it will fail.

#139  Luffy 09-22-2020, 07:32 AM
Duly noted. I won't be using cloud though. That's out of the question. I feel confident in my back up policies. I'll report here if my data is lost.

#140  pdurrant 09-22-2020, 08:11 AM
22 years ago, Salon magazine ran a competition for Haiku error messages. My favorite was

Three things are certain:
Death, taxes and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.

-- David Dixon

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (14/15)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register