Mobileread
Converted AZW3 ebook to PDF with some layout issues
#1  neyet 02-13-2020, 04:06 AM
I'm using Calibre 4.5 (64bit) and have tried to convert a Kindle ebook (AZW3) to PDF.

The result is a PDF with some layout issues.

Is this expected? If not, is there a workaround?

N.B.: I understand that AZW4 ebooks are actually PDF files contained in a wrapper. What about AZW3 ebooks? Are they originally PDF files contained in a wrapper too?

#2  BetterRed 02-13-2020, 04:27 AM
Quote neyet
I'm using Calibre 4.5 (64bit) and have tried to convert a Kindle ebook (AZW3) to PDF.

The result is a PDF with some layout issues.

Is this expected? If not, is there a workaround?
Hard to say without more information, see ==> How to ask a question about conversion problems

Quote neyet
N.B.: I understand that AZW4 ebooks are actually PDF files contained in a wrapper. What about AZW3 ebooks? Are they originally PDF files contained in a wrapper too?
Nothing like, AZW3 (aka KF8) is closer to the EPUB format.

Curious : why are you converting to PDF?

BR

#3  JSWolf 02-13-2020, 06:20 AM
Another question, why aren't you using the latest Calibre 4.10.1?

#4  DNSB 02-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Quote JSWolf
Possibly using KFX? I seem to remember that calibre versions newer than 4.5 break removing DRM from KFX. This should be fixed in the next release of the DeDRM tools, hopefully before Feb. 31st.

#5  neyet 02-14-2020, 07:26 AM
Quote BetterRed
Hard to say without more information, see ==> How to ask a question about conversion problems

I have read the contents of the article referenced by the above link. It seems that I need to upload the original ebook as well as the converted one but to whom?

The file size of the original ebook is more than 50MB.

Quote BetterRed
Nothing like, AZW3 (aka KF8) is closer to the EPUB format.

Thanks for the info.

Quote BetterRed
Curious : why are you converting to PDF?

I am helping a friend out. He wanted it to be in PDF format.

#6  neyet 02-14-2020, 07:31 AM
Quote JSWolf

Please see the reply by DNSB

#7  BetterRed 02-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Quote neyet
I have read the contents of the article referenced by the above link. It seems that I need to upload the original ebook as well as the converted one but to whom?
You could post a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre, attaching the AZW3 and marking the post private.

Quote neyet
He wanted it to be in PDF format.
Again - why?

Of all the e-book formats, PDF is the most problematic - to convert to or convert from. If your friend insists on PDF they should be prepared to accept a less than perfect result, or find a store who can provide a PDF edition of the book and get a refund from Amazon for the AZW3.

BR

#8  DNSB 02-15-2020, 12:37 AM
Quote neyet
I am helping a friend out. He wanted it to be in PDF format.
At this point, the question becomes "Is this book public domain or do you have the right to redistribute it?" If the answer is no, then generating the PDF copy for your friend moves solidly into the area of copyright infringement and ebook piracy.

Given your friend is likely to be able to read an AZW3 ebook on most devices using Amazon's free software, I'm tending towards you giving him a format shifted copy of a purchased ebook.

End of discussion for me.

#9  neyet 02-20-2020, 08:02 AM
Quote DNSB
At this point, the question becomes "Is this book public domain or do you have the right to redistribute it?" If the answer is no, then generating the PDF copy for your friend moves solidly into the area of copyright infringement and ebook piracy.

Given your friend is likely to be able to read an AZW3 ebook on most devices using Amazon's free software, I'm tending towards you giving him a format shifted copy of a purchased ebook.

End of discussion for me.

You jumped to spurious conclusions and passed judgments on me without first asking me for clarifications.

To clarify, the ebook was purchased by my friend who had zero skills in using Calibre and the DeDRM tools. He asked me to help him out.

Secondly, he prefers to read the ebook in PDF format on his desktop computer which has a large monitor with at least 37 inches of screen size.

#10  stumped 02-20-2020, 08:32 AM
He could read the book that he purchased, in the original amazon format on the same PC and on the same 37inch+ screen , in full screen, via amazon's free Kindle for PC software.

That will render the book better than any conversion to PDF. Seems that what he needs is some education, not some free conversion?

...and if he has some weird illogical objection to that, amazon will refund him ( they will fully refund any ebook with 7 days of purchase) and sell him a PDF version

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register