Mobileread
Best Calibre version for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.7
#1  peter0conor 01-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Good morning,

I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.7, so right now it looks like I can not have any other Calibre version but 3.48 installed. The latest version of Calibre is 4.8, so is there any way (by installing other libraries or something else) I caninstall the latest Calibre version? I have not found any other actual post regarding this, and I am assuming 4.8 version may have new features than 3.48. Any help will be highly appreciate.
Thanks for your time and consideration,
Peter

#2  kovidgoyal 01-03-2020, 11:56 AM
The is stated on the calibre linux download page, you need GLIBC 2.18 or higher and libstdc++.so.6.0.21 (from gcc 5.4.0) or higher to run calibre

If you can install those then you can run 4.x if not you have to stay with 3.x

#3  pazos 01-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Sadly Red Hat EL 7 uses GLIBC 2.17 and gcc 4.8 (both with a bunch of backports).

So OP needs to stay with 3.x or run 4.x in a VM or container, like https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/calibre

#4  peter0conor 01-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Thanks to both of you. I am not a Linux expert, I just have a dedicated VM for hosting Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.7 to run my Calibre library. Could you please let me know where to get (GLIBC 2.18 or higher and libstdc++.so.6.0.21 (from gcc 5.4.0)) and how to install them? I hope it is not too complicated.
Thank you very much,
Peter

#5  pazos 01-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Hi peter0conor. Yes, is too complicated so is not a realistic option.

If you use a dedicated VM *just* to run Calibre then switch to a modern one which fullfits the software requisites. If you're deploying other services for lan/wan then stick with your VM and use 3.x or deploy 4.x in a docker container.

#6  JSWolf 01-04-2020, 04:21 PM
@peter0conor What OS are you using outside of the VM? Maybe that OS can run Calibre 4.8.

#7  peter0conor 01-05-2020, 06:21 AM
Thanks all for your feedback. I currently have Windows 10 and use a VM with Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.7 dedicated exclusively for my Calibre books databases. Long time ago, I started to use Calibre running in Microsoft OSs. but after having so many issues with it, I decided to switch to a Linux OS where is running perfectly. At this point, I just want to be able to use the latest version of Calibre to better manage my library database. However, I don't have advanced Linux skills, so I don't want having to spend a lot of time building a special OS for it.
Thanks
Peter

#8  JSWolf 01-05-2020, 06:23 AM
Quote peter0conor
Thanks all for your feedback. I currently have Windows 10 and use a VM with Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.7 dedicated exclusively for my Calibre books databases. Long time ago, I started to use Calibre running in Microsoft OSs. but after having so many issues with it, I decided to switch to a Linux OS where is running perfectly. At this point, I just want to be able to use the latest version of Calibre to better manage my library database. However, I don't have advanced Linux skills, so I don't want having to spend a lot of time building a special OS for it.
Thanks
Peter
I run Windows 10 and I am using Calibre 4.8 with no problem. Try installing Calibre 4.8 under Windows 10 and see how you get on.

#9  peter0conor 01-05-2020, 08:18 AM
Quote JSWolf
I run Windows 10 and I am using Calibre 4.8 with no problem. Try installing Calibre 4.8 under Windows 10 and see how you get on.
I thought that Calibre would be me more stable under Linux than Microsoft, but I will give Windows 10 a try.
Thanks again,
Peter

#10  JSWolf 01-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Quote peter0conor
I thought that Calibre would be me more stable under Linux than Microsoft, but I will give Windows 10 a try.
Thanks again,
Peter
Actually, Calibre is very stable under Windows 10. If the VM is just for Calibre, you can reclaim the lost disk space and delete the VM.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register