Mobileread
Calibre changes drop cap on converting epub -> azw3
#1  AlanHK 04-03-2015, 01:27 AM
I have a book using drop caps I coded in epub.

used this css:

Code
.Dropcap {	float:left;	font-size:5em;	line-height:1;	margin-bottom:-0.275em;	margin-right:0.05em;	margin-top:-0.06em;
}
which makes a 3-line high drop cap.

In chapters that begin with a quote, I put the quote and the first letter in the span:

Code
 <p class="noindent"><span class="Dropcap">&lsquo;D</span>o you want to go see some paintings?&rsquo; I ask
And that works (though I would like to use a hanging quote, if anyone has a simple way to do that?)

So I run this through Calibre to make AZW3, and notice that the chapters beginning with a quote are only two line drop caps.
Looking at the code, it's created a new style for those.

Code
.Dropcap { float: left; font-size: 5em; line-height: 1; margin-bottom: -0.275em; margin-right: 0.05em; margin-top: -0.06em;
}
.Dropcap1 { float: left; font-size: 2em; line-height: 1; margin-bottom: -0.275em; margin-right: 0.05em; margin-top: -0.06em;
}
The original Dropcap is exactly as I made it, but there is now a "Dropcap1" which is 2em high, not 5.

So I used Calibre editor to change those chapters to just "Dropcap", that worked.

Why did Calibre do this?

#2  kovidgoyal 04-03-2015, 01:31 AM
Use the setting in the look & feel section of the conversion dialog to not rescale font sizes.

#3  AlanHK 04-03-2015, 02:32 AM
Quote kovidgoyal
Use the setting in the look & feel section of the conversion dialog to not rescale font sizes.
Thanks, that did it!

But why was it rescaling those instances?

#4  kovidgoyal 04-03-2015, 02:35 AM
Font rescaling rescales all font sizes in the book. The user manual has a section explaining how it works. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html#font-size-rescaling

#5  increase 02-07-2020, 05:16 PM
Quote AlanHK
I have a book using drop caps I coded in epub.

used this css:

Code
.Dropcap {	float:left;	font-size:5em;	line-height:1;	margin-bottom:-0.275em;	margin-right:0.05em;	margin-top:-0.06em;
}
which makes a 3-line high drop cap.

In chapters that begin with a quote, I put the quote and the first letter in the span:

Code
 <p class="noindent"><span class="Dropcap">&lsquo;D</span>o you want to go see some paintings?&rsquo; I ask
And that works (though I would like to use a hanging quote, if anyone has a simple way to do that?)

So I run this through Calibre to make AZW3, and notice that the chapters beginning with a quote are only two line drop caps.
Looking at the code, it's created a new style for those.

Code
.Dropcap { float: left; font-size: 5em; line-height: 1; margin-bottom: -0.275em; margin-right: 0.05em; margin-top: -0.06em;
}
.Dropcap1 { float: left; font-size: 2em; line-height: 1; margin-bottom: -0.275em; margin-right: 0.05em; margin-top: -0.06em;
}
The original Dropcap is exactly as I made it, but there is now a "Dropcap1" which is 2em high, not 5.

So I used Calibre editor to change those chapters to just "Dropcap", that worked.

Why did Calibre do this?
I tried this and it works on epub3 o n an android using 4.2.2 but the drop cap does not appear in android 7.

Is there any way around this?

#6  theducks 02-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Quote increase
I tried this and it works on epub3 o n an android using 4.2.2 but the drop cap does not appear in android 7.

Is there any way around this?
1) Android is not a e-book viewer. It is a OS . Moon+ is a viewer.
In the viewer you need to set (allow) it to use Publishers fonts and stylesheets/ (Good luck. Not all allow this, nor do it properly when they do )

#7  JSWolf 02-07-2020, 05:27 PM
Quote theducks
1) Android is not a e-book viewer. It is a OS . Moon+ is a viewer.
In the viewer you need to set (allow) it to use Publishers fonts and stylesheets/ (Good luck. Not all allow this, nor do it properly when they do )
In otherwords, most Android ePub apps are garbage because they don't respect the CSS.

#8  theducks 02-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Quote JSWolf
In otherwords, most Android ePub apps are garbage because they don't respect the CSS.
The Authors know their way is better
FWIW it does get REAL tricky trying to allow users to make all their adjustments. If it was jus Scaling, then playing with Body, might be enough, allowing the rest

#9  JSWolf 02-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Quote theducks
The Authors know their way is better
FWIW it does get REAL tricky trying to allow users to make all their adjustments. If it was jus Scaling, then playing with Body, might be enough, allowing the rest
You've responded to a post that's been moved as part of a new thread.

#10  BetterRed 02-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Quote JSWolf
You've responded to a post that's been moved as part of a new thread.
My error I moved the wrong posts in the wrong thread :lol:

BR

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register