Mobileread
GetBooks announcements
#11  user_none 05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
As of right now I'm handling all US stores and Free sources. Charles is handling all of the EU. We don't have anyone handling any other part of the world at the moment.

What do you want to see for additional US stores? Even if it's already been requested the more people requesting help to prioritize based on popularity.

Also, once the majority of common stores are implemented requests will be minimal so I don't see having a central thread about it. There are only so many stores out there that people actually use.

#12  chaley 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
@user_none: we could make this thread sticky and change the title to "The new 'get books' feature: what stores?". That way it could act as a repository for requests worldwide. It would be 'unstuck' once things settle down.

#13  user_none 05-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote chaley
@user_none: we could make this thread sticky and change the title to "The new 'get books' feature: what stores?". That way it could act as a repository for requests worldwide. It would be 'unstuck' once things settle down.
Be my guest. I'm not a mod so I can't edit or make things sticky.

#14  Hatgirl 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Cool new feature!

I have been assembling a list of DRM-free stores. I have personally bought ebooks from the majority of them. These are the ones I'd like added to the Get Books feature:
Angry Robot Store - www.angryrobotstore.com
The Black Library (Warhammer) - www.blacklibrary.com
Book View Cafe - www.bookviewcafe.com
Dragon Moon Books - www.dragonmoonpress.com
Fantasy Magazine - www.fantasy-magazine.com
Fictionwise (Multiformat) - www.fictionwise.com
Lightspeed Magazine/Prime Books - www.lightspeedmagazine.com
Locus Magazine - secure.locusmag.com
Pan Macmillan - www.panmacmillan.com
PS Publishing - www.pspublishing.co.uk
Samhain - store.samhainpublishing.com
Weightless Books - weightlessbooks.com
Wizard's Tower - www.wizardstowerbooks.com

These are DRM-free stores that sell programming/technical computer ebooks
A Book Apart - www.abookapart.com
O'Reilly Media - oreilly.com
The Pragmatic Bookshelf - pragprog.com

Although I don't use them, I guess I should mention some European bookstores that use DRM *hiss, spit*:
Eason & Sons - www.eason.ie/e_books
Tesco eBooks - www.tescoebooks.com

#15  user_none 05-08-2011, 04:35 PM
@Hatgirl, Thanks for the list. Though, some of those store are already supported... I'll look into them. I'm a big fan of Fantasy books and I see some stores that look like they specalize in that genre .

#16  Hatgirl 05-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote user_none
@Hatgirl, Thanks for the list. Though, some of those store are already supported... I'll look into them. I'm a big fan of Fantasy books and I see some stores that look like they specalize in that genre .
I think your post and my edit crossed - I realised I'd left in Smashwords etc Silly me.

Glad to help out a fellow fantasy fan

#17  jesscat 05-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Another big fantasy fan here...but I read a lot of other genre fic as well.

I purchase regularly from fictionwise.com; that was one in particular that I've seen mentioned before (I think - I mean even before this thread) and would like to put in another vote for.

And another that I buy from with some regularity, and think just from hanging around here and reading posts that other calibre users must certainly use - pretty certain I've seen a request for this one as well, though I'm not 100% sure - is AllRomanceEbooks.com (and sometimes its companion, OmniLit; I think all of ARE is contained within OmniLit, though not vice versa, but I'm not entirely sure.)

#18  user_none 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM
My big worry about Fictionwise is how much longer are they going to be around. They've ended their affilate program, micropay program, and there have been posts on MobileRead about some of their magazine subscriptions ending too. Oh and I almost forgot they also ended the buywise club. It really looks like B&N is winding down the Fictionwise operation now that B&N has their own branded store front.

#19  Hatgirl 05-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote user_none
My big worry about Fictionwise is how much longer are they going to be around. They've ended their affilate program, micropay program, and there have been posts on MobileRead about some of their magazine subscriptions ending too. Oh and I almost forgot they also ended the buywise club. It really looks like B&N is winding down the Fictionwise operation now that B&N has their own branded store front.
After reading that statement I got a fit of paranoia, downloaded all my Fictionwise ebooks and uploaded them to my Dropbox account. Even though they are already all on my ereader

Yeah, Fictionwise is not what it once was. But it still has George R. R. Martin short stories

#20  Murphy 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Great news that you are doing this.
My wishlist for other stores are:

Fictionwise
Samhain
LooseID
MLR Press
AllRomance
Dreamspinner
AmberQuill
Total-e-Bound

By the way, Fictionwise may be getting a new lease of life as I have just received first newsletter in over a year!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/33)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register