Mobileread
ebook in KFX and old-mobi - no KF8
#1  odamizu 10-20-2020, 11:43 PM
I purchased an older (2008) Kindlebook that nevertheless has Enhanced Typesetting. When I "downloaded for transfer via USB" I got the old mobi format (not KF8), which surprised me. I figured if it had a KFX version, it would also have KF8.

Is this a regular thing where publishers update old mobi format directly to KFX and there's no KF8?

Just curious and would like to understand the publishing/formatting process here. Insights appreciated

#2  pdurrant 10-21-2020, 03:40 AM
Quote odamizu
I purchased an older (2008) Kindlebook that nevertheless has Enhanced Typesetting. When I "downloaded for transfer via USB" I got the old mobi format (not KF8), which surprised me. I figured if it had a KFX version, it would also have KF8.

Is this a regular thing where publishers update old mobi format directly to KFX and there's no KF8?

Just curious and would like to understand the publishing/formatting process here. Insights appreciated
It would be Amazon doing the conversion to KFX from the old MOBI format, not the publisher.

#3  jhowell 10-21-2020, 09:55 AM
As pdurrant wrote, Amazon produces KFX for older books by re-processing them. As the software the generates KFX has improved, more older books have come to support Enhanced Typesetting, without any changes by the publisher.

The same situation can also come about in newer books if a publisher uses Amazon's Kindle Create software. That produces KFX directly and then Amazon generates MOBI, but not KF8, from that as a fallback for devices that do not support Enhanced Typesetting.

#4  odamizu 10-21-2020, 03:07 PM
Thank you, pdurrant! Thank you, jhowell!

#5  JSWolf 10-21-2020, 03:15 PM
Quote jhowell
As pdurrant wrote, Amazon produces KFX for older books by re-processing them. As the software the generates KFX has improved, more older books have come to support Enhanced Typesetting, without any changes by the publisher.

The same situation can also come about in newer books if a publisher uses Amazon's Kindle Create software. That produces KFX directly and then Amazon generates MOBI, but not KF8, from that as a fallback for devices that do not support Enhanced Typesetting.
Any publisher that uses Kindle Create should not have anyone buy any of their books (IMHO). Mobi is meh and KFX is useless. There should be KF8 for new eBooks.

#6  Quoth 10-21-2020, 03:15 PM
Likely the Publisher uploaded a Mobi rather than a docx or epub2.
It might be a really old upload before there were many KF8 kindles. I think the Kindle Keyboard originally only did KF7 and if you use it as a target you get old mobi, even though the last FW does support KF8.

#7  Quoth 10-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Quote JSWolf
Any publisher that uses Kindle Create should not have anyone buy any of their books (IMHO). Mobi is meh and KFX is useless. There should be KF8 for new eBooks.
I tested Kindle Create at Amazon's suggestion.

We test on a range of Apps and devices. Eventually, this was before it was listed as an option, Amazon recommended we upload epub2. It worked perfectly for old mobi, KF8 and KFX downloads. Better than either the SAME docx as used by Calibre to make the epub2 (with zero editing in Calibre) or the Kindle Create.

Kindle Create IMO is for the casual self-publisher that uses a wordprocessor like a typewriter.

#8  JSWolf 10-21-2020, 03:55 PM
Quote Quoth
I tested Kindle Create at Amazon's suggestion.

We test on a range of Apps and devices. Eventually, this was before it was listed as an option, Amazon recommended we upload epub2. It worked perfectly for old mobi, KF8 and KFX downloads. Better than either the SAME docx as used by Calibre to make the epub2 (with zero editing in Calibre) or the Kindle Create.

Kindle Create IMO is for the casual self-publisher that uses a wordprocessor like a typewriter.
Is Kindle Create as bad as I think it is?

#9  Quoth 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM
Quote JSWolf
Is Kindle Create as bad as I think it is?
I don't know how bad you think it is. Wordpad was better at paper than Kindle Create at ebooks.

It's free. You can install it on your Win10 and review

#10  Hitch 11-02-2020, 10:02 AM
Quote Quoth
Likely the Publisher uploaded a Mobi rather than a docx or epub2.
It might be a really old upload before there were many KF8 kindles. I think the Kindle Keyboard originally only did KF7 and if you use it as a target you get old mobi, even though the last FW does support KF8.
From 2008? Hell, that's effectively before KF7. I'm wondering if that's a typo.....

Hitch

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register