Mobileread
Sony 505s - What the heck?
#1  Dr. Drib 09-29-2020, 08:40 AM
I have two Sony 505s in storage that I purchased back in 2009 (I think it was).

They still held a charge a few years ago.

Serious question: Are they any good for anything now, going on 12 years later?

#2  JSWolf 09-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
I have two Sony 505s in storage that I purchased back in 2009 (I think it was).

They still held a charge a few years ago.

Serious question: Are they any good for anything now, going on 12 years later?
Not really. The version of RMSDK is (I think) equivalent to ADE 1.7.2 and they only display left justified. Slow and they can be even slower with hi-res images. Only 800x600 and not as much contrast. Plus, the battery could be not great.

#3  John F 09-29-2020, 09:29 AM
Quote JSWolf
Not really. The version of RMSDK is (I think) equivalent to ADE 1.7.2 and they only display left justified. Slow and they can be even slower with hi-res images. Only 800x600 and not as much contrast. Plus, the battery could be not great.
I just fired up my 505 (the battery was dead), and speed seems fine, and I used right justified text; the secret is to use the LRF format.

Without a front light it did look very grey, but if it was acceptable in the past...

And the first thing I tried after turning it on was tapping the screen.

#4  JSWolf 09-29-2020, 11:51 AM
Quote John F
I just fired up my 505 (the battery was dead), and speed seems fine, and I used right justified text; the secret is to use the LRF format.

Without a front light it did look very grey, but if it was acceptable in the past...

And the first thing I tried after turning it on was tapping the screen.
Use LRF and you get fake bold and fake italics. The fake italics look awful. Have you tried it with hi-res images 2000+ lines

The last time I handled a Reader without touch, I also touched the screen.

#5  Mort1997 09-29-2020, 12:04 PM
I still love mine. It takes a moment or 2 when switching from a touch reader to the buttons to get use to it and then adjust to my reading speed (clicking the page turn a couple of lines from the bottom to turn the page as I finish).

It is worse trying to adapt to a paperback book and looking for buttons/touch screen!

My ideal reader would have both buttons and touch screen.

#6  John F 09-29-2020, 04:25 PM
Quote Mort1997
I still love mine. It takes a moment or 2 when switching from a touch reader to the buttons to get use to it and then adjust to my reading speed (clicking the page turn a couple of lines from the bottom to turn the page as I finish).

It is worse trying to adapt to a paperback book and looking for buttons/touch screen!

So there you go, it is good for something.

#7  binaryhermit 09-29-2020, 04:55 PM
I mean, it probably would at least make a (bad?) paperweight?

#8  JSWolf 09-29-2020, 09:37 PM
Quote Mort1997

Then go get your ideal Reader. It exists. You want a Kobo Libra H2O or a Kobo Forma with both buttons and a touch screen.

#9  Mort1997 09-30-2020, 01:15 AM
Quote JSWolf
Then go get your ideal Reader. It exists. You want a Kobo Libra H2O or a Kobo Forma with both buttons and a touch screen.
Actually I have tried both and I prefer my voyage

#10  JSWolf 09-30-2020, 06:26 AM
Quote Mort1997
Actually I have tried both and I prefer my voyage
Why is it you like the Oasis 3 better then the Libra?

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register