Mobileread
Marvin and IOS14
#1  svenlind 09-19-2020, 06:27 AM
Marvin is important to me. I would really like to hear if any of you have encountered problems with IOS 14?
Positive news are also very welcome.
TIA

#2  JSWolf 09-19-2020, 08:25 AM
Quote svenlind
Marvin is important to me. I would really like to hear if any of you have encountered problems with IOS 14?
Positive news are also very welcome.
TIA
I have not tried everything, but it seems to work.

#3  ilovejedd 09-19-2020, 02:33 PM
I actually run betas on my backup device to test for Marvin compatibility.

I've been using iPadOS 14 since around July and Marvin works fine. iOS 14 actually fixed a text selection bug I had in dialog boxes with iOS 13 and iPad 7 (unsupported resolution).

Obviously still less than ideal on notched iPhones if using light backgrounds.

#4  svenlind 09-20-2020, 05:27 AM
Thank you for your replies. I have installed IOS14 on my 9.7 iPad pro, and Marvin seems certainly to be working allright.

#5  pwalker8 09-20-2020, 12:11 PM
Quote ilovejedd
I actually run betas on my backup device to test for Marvin compatibility.

I've been using iPadOS 14 since around July and Marvin works fine. iOS 14 actually fixed a text selection bug I had in dialog boxes with iOS 13 and iPad 7 (unsupported resolution).

Obviously still less than ideal on notched iPhones if using light backgrounds.
That's pretty much what I do. Eventually Marvin will stop working as they change the API's, but so far no problem.

#6  ilovejedd 09-20-2020, 05:55 PM
Quote pwalker8
That's pretty much what I do. Eventually Marvin will stop working as they change the API's, but so far no problem.
Sad thing is the alternative I was okay with (Hyphen) seems to have been abandoned as well. I've tried MapleRead, KyBook, etc. but I still keep going back to Marvin.

#7  pwalker8 09-20-2020, 07:42 PM
Quote ilovejedd
Sad thing is the alternative I was okay with (Hyphen) seems to have been abandoned as well. I've tried MapleRead, KyBook, etc. but I still keep going back to Marvin.
It's basically a niche market that seems to be more of a hobby than a business. The vast majority stick with whatever reading app is associated with the store they use - Kindle, Books or Kobo. After a few years, most developers get bored with it.

#8  ilovejedd 09-21-2020, 01:09 AM
Quote pwalker8
It's basically a niche market that seems to be more of a hobby than a business. The vast majority stick with whatever reading app is associated with the store they use - Kindle, Books or Kobo. After a few years, most developers get bored with it.
Yeah, I know.

Until we go through another transition similar to 32- to 64-bit, I think Marvin should work fine with basic usage (reading books and browsing the library). It's Dropbox support and iCloud syncing that's iffy.

I can easily give up progress syncing but if Dropbox goes, I'll probably end up using Books.

#9  Turtle91 09-21-2020, 09:08 AM
As long as OPDS continues to work then I'll be sticking with Marvin....actually forget that....I'll probably figure out a workaround even then. It would have to be a really good program for it to outperform Marvin!

#10  pwalker8 09-21-2020, 09:08 AM
Quote ilovejedd
Yeah, I know.

Until we go through another transition similar to 32- to 64-bit, I think Marvin should work fine with basic usage (reading books and browsing the library). It's Dropbox support and iCloud syncing that's iffy.

I can easily give up progress syncing but if Dropbox goes, I'll probably end up using Books.
Progress syncing is a biggie for me, but I don't use dropbox to store ebooks.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register