Mobileread
PRS-T2 Was there ever a firmware update?
#1  DoctorM 08-30-2020, 06:29 PM
I just picked up a T2 reader and went to Sony's page to check out downloads and there are no firmwares.

Did the T2 only have the factory firmware and that's all?

Edit: Yes. Their page is confusing. The updated firmware is 2.4.01.10241. It LOOKS like the download links are for Win/Mac software, but that is the installers for the firmware... except the page doesn't say the links are firmware until you click through.

#2  DoctorM 09-02-2020, 04:38 PM
Okay, what the what? That was Sony Reader for PC NOT a firmware installer.

I cannot find a firmware update on their website anymore. The reader is running 1.1.00.15240. If there is newer firmware can someone provide a link?

#3  rcentros 09-03-2020, 01:49 AM
Quote DoctorM
Okay, what the what? That was Sony Reader for PC NOT a firmware installer.

I cannot find a firmware update on their website anymore. The reader is running 1.1.00.15240. If there is newer firmware can someone provide a link?
I think 1.1.00.15240 is probably the newest. Does it show the Kobo market rather than the Sony one? I think there was only one "Kobo" firmware release. I don't have my PRS-T2 down here in Texas with me. I can check for sure when I get home (not for about a month yet). I didn't realize Sony had dropped support for the T-1, T-2 and (I'm guessing) T3.

Here's a link to the news about updates for these three (after Sony closed down there eReader business.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2014/04/03/firmware-updates-now-available-for-sony-prs-t1-t2-and-t3-ebook-readers/

I'm guessing these were the last firmware updates. (Don't know for sure.) The links no longer go anywhere.

Here's a link to the PRS-T2 firmware from a site called ReByte.

https://rebyte.me/en/sony/138144/file-821692/

They have updater files for several for several of the Sony Readers, including a newer one then mentioned on the eBook Reader blog for the T1 ( PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070.exe). They even have the updater for the PRS-505 available (this is the one I already have). (The 300, 600 and 900 don't appear to have updates? Unless it's built into the Reader software?)

https://rebyte.me/en/search/?term=Sony+PRS

No T3, however?

I've downloaded the updaters they have available (I have Linux). I'm guessing the site is okay, but it's always a good idea to be wary, especially if you're using Windows.

Found the T3 update on the Canadian Sony support page...

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/support/reader-digital-book-prs-t-series/prs-t3/downloads/W0009716

#4  DoctorM 09-03-2020, 04:19 AM
Thanks. Yes, the Kobo bookstore is on the T2. I figured it might be the most recent for that reason.

My T1 readers had 1.0.07.05070, but I didn't realize that that was a follow up to the Kobo change firmware. I thought 1.0.07 WAS the one that swapped in the Kobo bookstore. Weird.

Btw, if anyone needs them, I have 1.0.04, 1.0.05 and 1.0.07 for the T1.

#5  JSWolf 09-03-2020, 10:28 AM
I did have a look and I cannot find any Sony firmware updates. Seems Sony has taken them all down.

#6  Hemmi 09-03-2020, 07:13 PM
I thought the last update for the T series updated it to the Kobo bookstore and there never were any more.

I updated my T1 a couple of years ago, hoping that would make it less buggy. Didn't help. I never bothered to update my T2 and my T3 was updated when I purchased it.

I sideload everything anyway and never have turned on the Wifi.

#7  DoctorM 09-04-2020, 06:24 PM
Some T1's were just flaky. My dad's freezes about every other day.
I manage to clean up the firmware on one of my readers and made it completely crash free for years.
I also bricked another one trying to do the same thing. :O

So far the T2 seems pretty solid, but I've only had it for a few days. It's interesting that the specs are identical, but the T2 boots up and feels generally faster and more responsive. I'm thinking Sony may have used faster memory which might not be reflected in the specs.

#8  JSWolf 09-04-2020, 06:33 PM
I used a T1 and my mother used a T1 and there was no problem with either of them.

#9  rcentros 09-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Quote DoctorM
So far the T2 seems pretty solid, but I've only had it for a few days. It's interesting that the specs are identical, but the T2 boots up and feels generally faster and more responsive. I'm thinking Sony may have used faster memory which might not be reflected in the specs.
Something is different. A T2 was the first Sony I owned and it's definitely cleaner and faster than the T1 I got later on. The T1 has locked up several times on me. Never have had an issue with the T2. Still use a T2 from time to time.

#10  4691mls 09-08-2020, 10:53 AM
I know a bunch of people here on Mobileread had issues with T1's locking up. Mine was fine for the first couple years or so but eventually started locking up frequently if I attmpted to look up a word in the dictionary. My T3 hardly ever locked up. I still use the T3 every once in a while.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register