Mobileread
PRS-T1 USB Not Recognized
#1  DoctorM 08-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Yesterday I went to sideload a book with Calibre. Connecting the USB cable, it wasn't visible (the cable to the reader or the reader to my PC)... the battery charge symbol didn't even come on.

I tried a second cable and just plugging in to a wall charger. Also no luck.

Anyone see this before? I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but I figured I'd ask before I do a factory reset to clear any data before it dies for good.

#2  Hemmi 08-14-2020, 07:09 PM
Did you try a Device Shutdown? Otherwise a hard reset. I've had Sonys come back from both. Never had to try a Factory reset.

#3  hobnail 08-14-2020, 07:27 PM
Quote DoctorM
Yesterday I went to sideload a book with Calibre. Connecting the USB cable, it wasn't visible (the cable to the reader or the reader to my PC)... the battery charge symbol didn't even come on.

I tried a second cable and just plugging in to a wall charger. Also no luck.

Anyone see this before? I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but I figured I'd ask before I do a factory reset to clear any data before it dies for good.
If you haven't used it for a while it may take a while for it to "wake up". At least that's been the case with kindles; I've left my old kindle dead for months (years?) and when I plugged it into a charger it took some time before the recharging light came on. I don't know how long; I just walked away and left it until the next day whereupon it was happily sucking up the juice.

#4  DoctorM 08-14-2020, 07:38 PM
Quote Hemmi
Did you try a Device Shutdown? Otherwise a hard reset. I've had Sonys come back from both. Never had to try a Factory reset.
By hard reset, do you mean poking it with a paperclip or something else?

@hobnail - Nope. Been using the reader. Still have about 3/4 charge on it.

#5  Hemmi 08-14-2020, 10:16 PM
Yes, the reset button you poke with the paperclip.

#6  DoctorM 08-15-2020, 02:12 AM
Tried that. Also did the factory reset with the button combo on boot up. No luck.
Crap. Time to research some Kobos.

#7  Hemmi 08-15-2020, 12:03 PM
I like the Kobos with the buttons. Once my last Sony dies, that's what I'll go for, either the Forma or the Libre.

#8  DoctorM 08-15-2020, 06:42 PM
I still have a bricked PRS-T1 which I have one more cunning plan to recover. If that fails, it's time to move on.
I didn't even think about buttons vs touch-only screens. Yeah. I think I'd miss the buttons.
Do you know if any of the discontinued Kobos are worth getting from eBay? I'm kind of spoiled since I original got three T1's off of ebay for under $25 each.

#9  Hemmi 08-15-2020, 10:50 PM
I've bought a lot of my Sonys from shopgoodwill.com. I do buy stuff from Ebay too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from there as long as you research the seller.

The only Kobo I have is the mini which is touchscreen. I don't get along well with touchscreens which is why I want buttons to turn the page.

#10  DoctorM 08-31-2020, 02:59 AM
I tried doing a recovery from an SD card with no luck. I suppose it might be possible to resolder the USB port, but it feels a bit more than I want to try. Of course what do I have to lose.
In the mean time, I just bought a PRS-T2 for $30 shipped on ebay.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register