Mobileread
Marvin development?
#1  kakkalla 05-27-2020, 04:19 AM
Hi everyone.

Marvin is, in my opinion, the best ebook reader on my iPad. Sadly, I think the developer has stopped working on Marvin.

Is this correct? Is Marvin not going to be updated?

Thanks.

#2  pwalker8 05-27-2020, 09:01 AM
Quote kakkalla
Hi everyone.

Marvin is, in my opinion, the best ebook reader on my iPad. Sadly, I think the developer has stopped working on Marvin.

Thanks.
You would need to ask the developer if it's every going to be updated. It hasn't been updated in several years though.

#3  leebase 06-09-2020, 12:01 AM
Quote kakkalla
Hi everyone.

Thanks.
Marvin was the app that finally got me to stop missing Stanza. FBReader is the app that got me to stop missing Marvin. It’s cross platform with Android as well

#4  kakkalla 06-09-2020, 12:04 AM
Thanks for this. I'll take a look.

I loved the fact that you could highlight some text, then bring up the menu to search for that word in images or in google maps. Does FBReader do this?

#5  Turtle91 06-09-2020, 09:36 AM
Quote leebase
Marvin was the app that finally got me to stop missing Stanza. FBReader is the app that got me to stop missing Marvin. It’s cross platform with Android as well
Fortunately there isn't much to 'miss'. Marvin is still the best ePub reader out there...on iOS.

Marvin still works - unlike stanza - so there isn't really a need to worry about (lack of) updates. Yes, there are a few things that aren't working anymore, but those are mostly to do with third party functionality that stopped working, or changed how they work, and Marvin hasn't changed with them.

#6  pwalker8 06-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Quote Turtle91
Fortunately there isn't much to 'miss'. Marvin is still the best ePub reader out there...on iOS.

Marvin still works - unlike stanza - so there isn't really a need to worry about (lack of) updates. Yes, there are a few things that aren't working anymore, but those are mostly to do with third party functionality that stopped working, or changed how they work, and Marvin hasn't changed with them.
That's pretty much my take. I don't know that I would recommend Marvin to someone new to Apple eBook reading, simply because it appears to abandonware, but I don't see a reason to switch until I have to.

#7  Turtle91 06-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Quote pwalker8
That's pretty much my take. I don't know that I would recommend Marvin to someone new to Apple eBook reading, simply because it appears to abandonware, but I don't see a reason to switch until I have to.

It'll be awhile before the newer apps will catch up to the functionality of Marvin - even with their active 'updates' - and I don't really care to work through that period. I'll wait until something is actually better before switching. For 96% of the users out there that aren't power users they will be just fine with Marvin.

#8  leebase 06-09-2020, 07:24 PM
Quote kakkalla
Thanks for this. I'll take a look.

I loved the fact that you could highlight some text, then bring up the menu to search for that word in images or in google maps. Does FBReader do this?
Marvin had a "radar" feature or some such that indexed characters and such. No such feature on Marvin.

You can highlight words and bring up a dictionary or translation. I do not think there is an image search.

#9  leebase 06-09-2020, 07:25 PM
Quote Turtle91
It'll be awhile before the newer apps will catch up to the functionality of Marvin - even with their active 'updates' - and I don't really care to work through that period. I'll wait until something is actually better before switching. For 96% of the users out there that aren't power users they will be just fine with Marvin.
Well...that "must switch" feature for me was cross platform support for Android/iOS. I like reading on my iPhone, iPad AND my Amazon/Walmart tablets.

#10  JSWolf 06-09-2020, 07:28 PM
Marvin does have a number of issues that were brought to the author's attention and ignored.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register