Mobileread
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
#5351  pdurrant 08-25-2020, 11:43 AM
A milestone! I've added 44 books to my TBR this year, but I've removed 133, over three times as many!

Mind you, 31 of those removed were discarded, rather than being read. The most recent were because I found out some unfortunate facts about an author. At least it's also removed some books from my wish list.

There are so many good books, I see no reason to read books by authors whose actions revolt me.

#5352  mlewis78 08-26-2020, 04:58 AM
I do not put my Amazon-purchased books on Calibre either. I have a lot of non-Amazon books on there though. It's easy to view the Amazon books on digital purchases on my Amazon account. They also let us know there if there has been an update on each book. I barely remember how to move them to calibre. I think I'd have to plug my kindle to my laptop and put files on my hard drive.

#5353  Rev. Bob 08-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Quote pdurrant
Mind you, 31 of those removed were discarded, rather than being read. The most recent were because I found out some unfortunate facts about an author. At least it's also removed some books from my wish list.

There are so many good books, I see no reason to read books by authors whose actions revolt me.
I get that viewpoint, but I generally go the other way. I'll stop buying, but tossing out the books I already have feels like the worst outcome... in that they got my money and I didn't get the entertainment.

It's like I'd be ripping myself off, y'know?

#5354  pdurrant 08-31-2020, 05:26 AM
After waiting until the last day of the month, I've finally bought three books from Amazon's monthly deals. All three were on my wish list, and I waited a month to be certain I still wanted them. Definitely good buys.

That's 40 books in eight months. My lowest number of buys since I started recording them, I think. Helped by abandoning the bi-monthly SF/Fantasy magazines I used to get. I really do prefer longer fiction.

#5355  Tarana 09-03-2020, 12:31 PM
I am doing much better controlling my audiobook buying. I am currently at the same number with which I started the year including the freebees. So doing much better there. Really plowed through a lot of those short stories and novellas that I never seemed to get to.

In ebooks, I'm still doing badly. I don't really regret any of the purchases or freebees with most being authors I've read. I'm 65 over the beginning of the year despite reading 48 of them. Sigh. Still working on it. No chance of getting to a 3 digit TBR is out this year. I am making headway in magazines I already have, but slowly.

#5356  leebase 09-03-2020, 01:14 PM
I just canceled Audible -- again. So many unlistened to books.

#5357  JSWolf 09-04-2020, 06:24 PM
I get audiobooks form Overdrive or Hoopla. I find I don't listen to enough audiobooks to make a paid audible account worth it.

I've bought no eBooks in August and so far only one in September. It was one on my wish list and was very cheap on sale.

#5358  Tarana 09-04-2020, 08:13 PM
Quote leebase
I just canceled Audible -- again. So many unlistened to books.
I'll cancel again when I get towards the end of my 'year'. I'm hoping to catch some fill-ins on my series before I break again.

#5359  HLS 09-07-2020, 09:23 PM
I buy audible only as ebook companions. its cheaper

#5360  issybird 09-09-2020, 10:50 AM
It’s getting to be fish or cut bait time on the latest Amazon “Spend $XX, Get $YY” offer. I’m able to cobble together high-priority choices that maximize the value, only going about a buck over the parameters - but I think, fingers crossed, that I can resist. It’s the difference between “books I seriously want,” which I do, and “books I see myself reading in the near future,” which I don’t. So either there will be another sale, or I pay the price when I really do feel like reading them, or I read something else. There’s no shortage.

Well, good. I’ve been on something of a low-grade spree this year, not like the bad old days, but mostly when I got a coupon or some other promotion, I used it. Time to build up some traction in “days without a purchase.”

I hope that by posting here, I can get past the last vestiges of purchase lust!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (536/543)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register