Mobileread
Clara Magnet for sleep/wake feature ?
#1  Rojofo 01-26-2021, 06:04 PM
Hi to All,

I am attempting to transform a cover for my Kobo Clara HD which does not have the sleep/wake feature by adding a magnet to the cover.

I wonder if someone could indicate where I might be able to buy an appropriate flat magnet ?

I'm thinking of using nano tape to fix it to the inside of the cover and to add a sheet of felt to protect the screen.

Thanks for any advice!
Rojofo.

#2  Elektron 01-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Maybe a moderately strong fridge magnet?

#3  RobertJSawyer 01-26-2021, 08:19 PM
It's trickier than it seems. If the magnet is too strong, then the sensor in the Kobo will detect it even when the cover is folded back, thinking the cover is closed when in fact it is open.

#4  Owl_ 01-27-2021, 07:41 AM
Beware. A bad settled magnet can harm the device.
Moreover it is widely stated on many threads that magnet covers bring about battery drain (but maybe this second issue was solved through the recent firmware releases)

#5  Calenorn 01-27-2021, 08:01 AM
The battery drain is real. I bought an after-market cover for the Clara. That cover had a kick stand that was held closed by a magnet when not in use. That magnet was in a bad spot and drained the battery. Had to stop using that cover.

#6  RobertJSawyer 01-27-2021, 08:31 AM
My advice: just go buy this exact one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FC9JXHQ

It works flawlessly, has no battery-drain issue, and feels great in the hand. Unlike some other third-party covers (I've tried several), it has a nicely rounded, rather than sharply crimped, edge, so it doesn't dig into your palm, and unlike some other third-party covers, it has no exposed metal plate. This is the best third-party cover I've had for ANY Kobo, and I've had many different models. I've been using it for fourteen months now, and it's showing zero signs of wear.

#7  Rojofo 01-27-2021, 11:01 AM
Thank you for this advice but I'm only looking for the magnet, not a whole case!

It would seem more difficult than I thought. I had not considered the problem of a magnet that might be too strong!

Has no one ever made their own sleep/wake case ?

#8  Quoth 01-27-2021, 12:42 PM
Yes, but it's very difficult to get right. Screen protection is a big issue. So now I buy one, usually about €10 / $12 / £9 or less.

#9  Rojofo 01-27-2021, 01:14 PM
I actually have a commercial wake/sleep case but I wanted to try to make a more personal one of my own. The sourcing of the magnet seemed to me to be the most difficult part.

#10  Calenorn 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM
FWIW, I have enjoyed using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KZMT9KP/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1G0PWQT537F97&psc=1

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register