Mobileread
Apparently unique footnote problem
#1  pvtSMR 01-22-2021, 06:42 PM
Before you say search the forums or Google, trust me, I have. For about four total hours. I'm finding no one else with the issue I have.

So, I have a Kobo Libra H20 running Koreader. Everything works great except footnotes. I really want the popup footnotes at the bottom, but with only one exception (I'll get to that) when I set it to popup footnotes, I get only the number of the footnote and an otherwise blank box.

If I turn popup footnotes back off, they link to the footnotes section just fine. If I open the same book in Calibre, the popup footnotes work as intended.

I found only one exception (so far), where I was able to take the book into Calibre, convert it from EPUB2 to EPUB3, reload it to the Libra, and then the footnotes appeared. But when I tried that with the other book I am reading with footnotes, I still got the blank boxes.

Both of these books are purchased books that I have stripped the DRM from, and have a .kepub.epub filetype (purchase from Kobo). I did try dropping the .kepub part, but that didn't change anything, either.

I am utterly at a loss. I have not been able to find this mentioned anywhere. If anyone has any ideas, I'm willing to try! I'm no programmer, but I can copy and paste code if you're clear about where it goes, and I'm relatively proficient with Calibre.

#2  NiLuJe 01-22-2021, 07:14 PM
We're going to have to see the code to tell you more .

(If you're unsure/unable to produce a minimal test case, just run the book through the Scramble plugin ).

#3  pvtSMR 01-22-2021, 07:24 PM
Scrambling I can do!

Here's the two scrambled (and renamed) books.
[epub] working footnotes book scrambled.epub (1.60 MB, 16 views)
[epub] not working footnotes book scrambled.epub (1.47 MB, 17 views)

#4  Frenzie 01-23-2021, 03:01 PM
Please see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/4261#issuecomment-766159951

#5  pvtSMR 01-23-2021, 03:30 PM
That's fantastic! Thank you so much! I will make sure to write that down somewhere so I can fix any other books with this same problem in the future.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register