Mobileread
FocusWriter
#1  rcentros 01-20-2021, 09:26 PM
I've discovered a "distraction-free" tool some folks might like — FocusWriter. Once you get it set up the way you like it's very nice.

I'm just going to paste what I wrote for the attached screenshot here...

FocusWriter

This is FocusWriter. It’s “marketed” as a distraction-free writing tool. I kind of like it.

But you have to understand something about it. When you first install it and try to use it, you get a tiny Times New Roman font. You’ll probably be frustrated because there’s nothing in the Menu that allows you to change that.

But they have provided a way. There are eight built-in themes. You can’t edit those, but you can duplicate them -- and then edit the duplicate. And that’s where you change the font. (There’s other changes you can make there as well.) I like big, easy to see, Courier fonts. This is Courier Prime at 14... whatever.

The Menu and status bar stays tucked away at the top and bottom. By default you only see them when you move the mouse over them. (That can also be changed.) It defaults to saving in .ODT format (OpenOffice, LibreOffice) but you can change the default to .DOCX, .TXT, and .RTF.

I chose text and the default way FocusWriter saves text caused an issue. By default FocusWriter saves something called a BOM (byte order mark) as the first character in text files. Has something to do with Unicode. Problem was, it destroyed the first line in Fountain files (so no Title was printing to PDF). No word processor or text editor I used (except Jstar, JOE) saw that character. Fortunately, once I found out what the issue was, I found that FocusWriter provides a switch to turn that off.

I enjoy writing “on the clouds” and think that this may be a permanent part of my writing.

https://gottcode.org/focuswriter/

Available for Linux (32-bit and 64-bit) and for 64-bit Windows.
focuswriter.png 

#2  gmw 01-21-2021, 08:43 AM
I find that mountain peaking through the clouds rather distracting.

What I need to aid my focus is for someone else to do my software development work (but still pay me ).

#3  pazos 01-21-2021, 02:56 PM
I love that program. It has the best theme manager in the whole industry. And one of the best spell checkers! Works great with LibreOffice documents and plain XML. Also with "rich text".

I find the ability to use typewriter sounds very pleasant, but others might find it annoying.

#4  skb 01-21-2021, 04:03 PM
I have Focused (Mac app by CodeBots) which uses Markdown. It's very easy to use. Although, honestly, I usually just whack things straight into Scrivener.

#5  rcentros 01-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Quote pazos
I find the ability to use typewriter sounds very pleasant, but others might find it annoying.
I hadn't tried the typewriter sounds until I read your post. Kind of fun. I don't know if I would use them on a regular basis, though. (My wife just saw me trying it out and she likes the typewriter sound a lot.)

#6  rcentros 01-21-2021, 05:27 PM
Quote gmw
I find that mountain peaking through the clouds rather distracting.

Yeah, now that you mention it... You can basically use whatever background image you want. The theme manager is pretty nice. (Though, you could also get distracted playing around with the theme manager for hours.)

#7  GlenBarrington 01-22-2021, 10:17 AM
Quote rcentros
Yeah, now that you mention it... You can basically use whatever background image you want. The theme manager is pretty nice. (Though, you could also get distracted playing around with the theme manager for hours.)
That sounds great! Anything to avoid actual writing, that stuff is hard and sometimes boring! Scrivener is good for that too! I can spend hours trying to create strange and clever names for characters.

#8  latepaul 01-22-2021, 10:38 AM
I really like focuswriter. I've got a custom theme saved which is just a black background, a particular font size and sized to used the whole width of my monitor.

If you want to go really old school check out WordGrinder.

WordGrinder is a word processor for processing words. It is not WYSIWYG. It is not point and click. It is not a desktop publisher. It is not a text editor. It does not do fonts and it barely does styles. What it does do is words. It's designed for writing text. It gets out of your way and lets you type.

The author wrote it to have something to write novels on

#9  rcentros 01-22-2021, 09:08 PM
Quote skb
I have Focused (Mac app by CodeBots) which uses Markdown. It's very easy to use. Although, honestly, I usually just whack things straight into Scrivener.
Since I'm not a Mac user so I can't try Focused. When you say it "uses" Markdown, I guess it's somehow built-in?

I found that there is a version of FocusWriter for the Mac, for some reason it's not advertised it on the same page. (?)

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34766/focuswriter

#10  rcentros 01-22-2021, 09:13 PM
Quote GlenBarrington
That sounds great! Anything to avoid actual writing, that stuff is hard and sometimes boring! Scrivener is good for that too! I can spend hours trying to create strange and clever names for characters.
I've been doing quite of writing the last couple months, but I still find time to play around with new text editors. That and eReaders — funny, just realized I haven't been reading much the last couple months. That seems to be my pattern read or write. Not often both at the same time.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register