Mobileread
Free e-novel (fantasy)
#1  Impixi 05-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Hello all,

I’ve recently released my experimental fantasy novel, Axiom, as a free download from my website (link in my profile). Formats are PDF and HTML/CSS (zipped).

I’m wondering if I should make other formats available. However, possibly that would be superfluous, since HTML is displayable by many (most?) handheld devices and/or convertible to proprietary formats by the end user via provided software. But I'm open to suggestions...

Regards,
Shane.

#2  rlauzon 05-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Quote Impixi
I’m wondering if I should make other formats available.
Until a dominant eBook format comes out, I'd say that PDF and HTML are the best ways to go.

All of the new eBook readers coming out will support both formats and, as you point out, HTML is easily convertable into anything else. So users who have eBook readers with proprietary formats should be able to handle it without any problems.

#3  Liviu_5 05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi,

Personally I think that releasing in Html is good enough No need to bother with a bloated format like pdf for a fiction book.
Regarding the book, though I read fantasy only occasionally as opposed to sf, I will give it a try since I liked the first 2 pages.

Liviu

Quote Impixi
Hello all,

I’ve recently released my experimental fantasy novel, Axiom, as a free download from my website (link in my profile). Formats are PDF and HTML/CSS (zipped).

I’m wondering if I should make other formats available. However, possibly that would be superfluous, since HTML is displayable by many (most?) handheld devices and/or convertible to proprietary formats by the end user via provided software. But I'm open to suggestions...

Regards,
Shane.

#4  Impixi 05-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the input.

I agree that PDF is a bloated format. I've included it only because it gives good results when printing. I'd remove it otherwise and save on disk space and bandwidth.

Regards,
Shane.

#5  Joe Swope 06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi,

Did you go through an e publisher or are you do it on your own? I would like to think an epublisher can help get it out there, but I wonder if they just take half of the profits for doing what the author can do anyway. Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Joe

#6  Joerg_Mosthaf 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM
HI,
tried to download it, but got only:
503 Service Unavailable
Failed to resolve the name of server www.ixenfor.com to connect

#7  Over 06-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I can't access your homepage...

About the formats, I would make available more formats. You have the trouble to convert it once, sparing potential readers to have the work to convert an ebook they don't know from an unknown author. (Or i'm just ignorant, sorry if that's the case )

#8  JSWolf 06-18-2008, 07:09 PM
When I try to access your site, I get what looks like a placeholder where the site should actually be.

#9  The Worldsmith 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Just a quick not on what Over said above, there maybe another thread on these forums about this topic that I haven't found yet, I am looking to release my own fantasy ebook in mid - late march of this year and have been toying with the idea of utilising the mobipocket & pdf formats for its download are there other formats that you guys would highly recommended?

#10  Jake_Drake 05-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote The Worldsmith
Just a quick not on what Over said above, there maybe another thread on these forums about this topic that I haven't found yet, I am looking to release my own fantasy ebook in mid - late march of this year and have been toying with the idea of utilising the mobipocket & pdf formats for its download are there other formats that you guys would highly recommended?
I recommend Smashwords.com. They provide a guide to publishing there and don't charge you anything. Takes a little time for your first ebook upload, but after that it gets easier. They don't take much in the way of your profits, either. I have all of my ebooks published at Smashwords.com and wouldn't ever un-publish them from there.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register