Mobileread
Help with Epub formatting - Smashwords Epub Checklist
#1  Galimah 10-12-2019, 04:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I hope you could be of assistance.

I have recently published two e-books on Smashwords.
It's two comic books that has been converted from PDF to Epub.
Unfortunately it failed the Smashwords Epub checklist, and am not sure what needs to be fixed. I have communicated with several formatting authors on the site but was not able to identify the issue.

I'd be grateful if anyone could assist me please.

TIA

#2  Hitch 10-17-2019, 12:29 AM
Quote Galimah
Hi Guys,

I hope you could be of assistance.

I have recently published two e-books on Smashwords.
It's two comic books that has been converted from PDF to Epub.
Unfortunately it failed the Smashwords Epub checklist, and am not sure what needs to be fixed. I have communicated with several formatting authors on the site but was not able to identify the issue.

I'd be grateful if anyone could assist me please.

TIA
Well, nobody can help you with what you've described. Nobody. You'll need to explain:

Once you fill us in on that, we'll probably have more questions and ask to see code, but...we have to have a place to start.

Hitch

#3  FrustratedReader 10-17-2019, 05:01 AM
Conversion from PDF to ANYTHING is often doomed.
You need to use either HTML or DOCX and then Calibre or Sigel to convert.

As Hitch says, without more info we can't imagine the problem. There is also an online epub check run by the daisy group, who I think develop epub.

Is the complaint about TOC or content?

PDF is SOLELY a format for paper printing and perfect screen preview of the print job and defines an exact physical page size.

All ebook formats are independent of page size, being internally like HTML (or actually HTML + CSS) and not at all intended for paper. They are supposed to reflow on differing sized screens and also when font changes.

Comics may often be image based so are challenging to package up as ebooks except for larger ereader screens. Smashwords don't support any of the the specific comic / manga formats which are really wrappers on multiple images.
A PDF is also a wrapper, but can have postscript like text, vector images and bitmap images as well as layers per page. Unlike any ebook the page is a physical size and it's not meant to ever flow or resize content.

Use some other method to export your artwork than PDF.

#4  j.p.s 10-17-2019, 01:05 PM
(Emphasis added by me.)
Quote Hitch
Well, nobody can help you with what you've described. Nobody. You'll need to explain:

Once you fill us in on that, we'll probably have more questions and ask to see code, but...we have to have a place to start.
I wish I had a nickel for every post for which the above would be the optimum starting template.

#5  Hitch 10-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Quote j.p.s
(Emphasis added by me.)

I wish I had a nickel for every post for which the above would be the optimum starting template.
Hell with that, I wish I had a nickel for every thread where we tried, ANYWAY!

Hitch

#6  BetterRed 10-17-2019, 10:20 PM
I'd rather someone start with a tentative post, as in this case, rather than splattering a thousand word paragraph of what they probably regard as Joycean prose to ask how to add inline images to their book.

BR

#7  DNSB 10-18-2019, 12:20 AM
Quote BetterRed
I'd rather someone start with a tentative post, as in this case, rather than splattering a thousand word paragraph of what they probably regard as Joycean prose to ask how to add inline images to their book.

BR
The problem is we seem to go between two extremes where the OP either gives no useful information and never responds to requests for more information or they give multiple pages without spoiler tags or worries about relevance to the problem.

#8  Hitch 10-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Quote BetterRed

BR
I dunno, Red, it seems to me it's not that hard to hang out here for a few hours, read threads, see how problem-solving is achieved and then follow the example.

But, noooo, as always people either don't care if they waste our time, or their problem is the end of the world as we know it, and of course, we're all psychics. (sigh).

Yes, I realize I've been on MR for a long time now and it's obvious to me, but still.

Hitch

#9  JSWolf 10-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Quote Hitch
Hell with that, I wish I had a nickel for every thread where we tried, ANYWAY!

Hitch
I wish I had a nickel for every eBook that has poor CSS. If I did, I'd have a lot of money. as this means I get a nickle for every eBook put out by the big 5 and then some.

#10  JSWolf 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Quote Hitch
I dunno, Red, it seems to me it's not that hard to hang out here for a few hours, read threads, see how problem-solving is achieved and then follow the example.

But, noooo, as always people either don't care if they waste our time, or their problem is the end of the world as we know it, and of course, we're all psychics. (sigh).

Yes, I realize I've been on MR for a long time now and it's obvious to me, but still.

Hitch
What I find is a real bother is when someone asks for help and we start to help and the OP never comes back.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register