Mobileread
Problem with epubs in new ereader
#1  reader_x 09-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone. I just purchased a new Linux-based ereader and many epubs I loaded onto it are being displayed as folders/directories, not as ebooks. I think I discovered a clue to the solution, but am not sure what to do.

Basically, while the ereader is connected to my iMac in USB mode, when I right-click on the epubs that are appearing as directories, the option "Show package contents" appears in the menu (as is normally the case with epubs). Conversely, when I right-click on the epubs that appear as ebooks in the reader, "Show package contents" does not appear.

Any ideas?

#2  JSWolf 09-22-2019, 03:18 PM
What Reader do you have and how are you loading your ePub on it?

#3  reader_x 09-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Quote JSWolf
What Reader do you have and how are you loading your ePub on it?
It's a SuperNote A5. I'm loading epubs on it my connecting it to my iMac in USB mode and copying them over to the designated directory on the device.

#4  JSWolf 09-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Take some of the ePub that show "Show package contents" and run them through epubcheck and see if there is any errors that may be causing this.

#5  Vroni 09-23-2019, 06:44 AM
Might it be that the transfer to the ereader wasn't a transfer but an unzip?

#6  JSWolf 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Try using Calibre to send the ePub to the Reader.

#7  pdurrant 09-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Quote reader_x
Basically, while the ereader is connected to my iMac in USB mode, when I right-click on the epubs that are appearing as directories, the option "Show package contents" appears in the menu (as is normally the case with epubs). Conversely, when I right-click on the epubs that appear as ebooks in the reader, "Show package contents" does not appear.
ePubs are zip files. The things that seem to be epubs on your iMac that have the option 'Show package contents' are not zip files, but folders that your iMac is choosing to display as if they were a file.

I suspect that if you get the ePub Zip/Unzip AppleScript, dropping the non-ePubs onto it will correctly zip them up into real ePub files that you can transfer.

I'd also strongly recommend that you use calibre to store your ebooks on your iMac, and use it to transfer books to your eReader.

#8  reader_x 09-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Ah, ok, so the iMac unzips the ePub/zip folders. Many thanks for all the help. It's a bit late now, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

#9  reader_x 09-24-2019, 01:59 AM
Sorry, but it seems I've managed to overcomplicate this simple solution.

When I drop a non-ePub onto the AppleScript, the following message appears...

The ePub "xxx.epub" already exists.

Do you want to replace it? The old ePub will be moved to the Trash.
When I select "Replace", the following message appears...

Problem adding mimetype to ePub "XXXXXX.epub":

sh: line 0: cd: /Users/admin/Downloads/re-zipped epubs/XXXXX.epub/: No such file or directory

#10  pdurrant 09-24-2019, 04:16 AM
Quote reader_x
Sorry, but it seems I've managed to overcomplicate this simple solution.

When I drop a non-ePub onto the AppleScript, the following message appears...

When I select "Replace", the following message appears...

Try removing '.epub' from the name of the non-ePub before dropping it onto the AppleScript.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register