Mobileread
(foot)note as popup
#1  Patrick V 09-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I'd like to know if someone has ever succeeded in creating ebooks with popups. I would like to replace footnotes with popup's. Or maybe, you know an ebook with popup's.
The epub should be readable on Kobo Aura.

Thanks,

Patrick

#2  JSWolf 09-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Quote Patrick V
Hi,

I'd like to know if someone has ever succeeded in creating ebooks with popups. I would like to replace footnotes with popup's. Or maybe, you know an ebook with popup's.

Thanks,

Patrick
In order to get popup footnotes, you need to convert your ePub to kepub.

#3  Hitch 09-16-2019, 10:44 PM
Quote Patrick V
Hi,

Thanks,

Patrick
In short, Patrick--it's the devices, not the coding, by and large. For example, the iBooks reader and Kobos have popup footnotes; many others do not. It's the device or software doing the rendering, rather than magic in the coding.

Hitch

#4  doubleshuffle 09-17-2019, 02:48 AM
Quote Hitch
In short, Patrick--it's the devices, not the coding, by and large. For example, the iBooks reader and Kobos have popup footnotes; many others do not. It's the device or software doing the rendering, rather than magic in the coding.

Hitch
But wasn't there a certain way footnotes have to be formatted to really make them pop up on the devices that can make them pop up?

I know I read posts about this on the forums here, quite a while back. If one does a search they might pop up.

*grabs coat and pops out*

#5  doubleshuffle 09-17-2019, 02:54 AM
Found something. I think this is the thread I remembered:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271796

#6  Hitch 09-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Quote doubleshuffle
Found something. I think this is the thread I remembered:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271796
I think you're thinking about whether or not you need javascript or JSON to make them work, but by and large, you don't. You just have to make them as footnotes, for MOST devices and they'll either work--or they won't.

If you try to get all cute with js or JSON, you'll end up with books that more people cannot read than can. IMHO.

Hitch

#7  doubleshuffle 09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
I've never done anything fancy with notes. I just remembered that thread, and Doitsu posted a test epub there with all kinds of different formattings, but I don't think it involved any cute stuff.

But I'm not going to get into this; I just dug up that thread because I happened to remember it's there. Perhaps it'll help Patrick V.

#8  JSWolf 09-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Quote Hitch

Hitch
Kobo's only do popup footnotes when reading kepub, not ePub.

#9  Hitch 09-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Quote JSWolf
Kobo's only do popup footnotes when reading kepub, not ePub.
Which, I think, makes my point even further--the files are effectively identical, an "ePUB" and a "kepub;" the latter has gone through Kobo's (utterly unnecessary) process and then the popup footnotes work, but AFAIK, the coding therefor is identical.

Hitch

#10  JSWolf 09-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Quote Hitch
Which, I think, makes my point even further--the files are effectively identical, an "ePUB" and a "kepub;" the latter has gone through Kobo's (utterly unnecessary) process and then the popup footnotes work, but AFAIK, the coding therefor is identical.

Hitch
I agree 100%.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register