Mobileread
Adding alternative readers to Kobo devices
#11  gryphonreader 11-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Hi

I tried to install Koreader (and the other stuff) twice to a new Kobo Aura this afternoon. I followed the directions very carefully and again when I removed the items between tires. Everything seemed to go exactly as described but when I open the Koreader I get a file manager page which says 1 of 2 pages, listing the authors and a few individual titles. From here however, OCCASIONALLY I can get one of the author folders to go to a list of items in the folder, but nothing will open an actual book and once there, it takes a reset to be able to access the home page again.

I'll admit to being frustrated and out of time so I've removed everything, again following the instructions and will try again when I have more time. Can you think of any reason this locks up at the file manager?

All I really want is the KoReader because I have a bazillion pdb ebooks from fictionwise that I would really like to be able to read on something - yes I know I could run everything through Calibre, but it would be nice to have something that could read the pdb format.

Koreader looks like a really neat idea and I will try again, but thought maybe you might have some insights on what I didn't do or even if this will work on the Aura.

Cheers,
gryphonreader

#12  Ken Maltby 11-13-2013, 01:29 AM
By default the File Manager will open in:\mnt\onboard, if you know where your books are you should be able to navigate to where they are. There is a menu that you can access by poking the "File Manager" text, that provides a Home Icon, among other things. If your books are on an external uSD card, poke the "../" to go to the \mnt directory, and select "\sd".

When you see a list of your book file titles, and poke one it should open the book on page one. You might then want to change the settings in the top and/or bottom menus. I often open the top menu and select the second tab and set the "Select rendering mode" to "Auto", for .pdb files.

Did you try Coolreader it can handle .pdb ebooks also. You should see it in the top of the Kobolauncher menu.

I don't remember if there has been any post from users with the new Aura 6" running Koreader. Or of any of them having problems running it. Hopefully, we can establish the situation for the new Aura 6" through your experience.

Luck;
Ken

PS; My .pdb ebooks look great and function well in Koreader on my AuraHD.

Edit; Works on the new Aura now.

#13  paola 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM
wonder whether this should be a sticky?

#14  Ken Maltby 11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Quote paola
wonder whether this should be a sticky?
I wouldn't mind, but it is up to the moderators and they are a weird group.

Luck;
Ken

#15  gryphonreader 11-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Hi Ken

I couldn't click on anything. It didn't help that the text was about 7pt. I didn't get anything like you described, and the books were loaded with Calibre so think they were where they were supposed to be. I'll give it another shot I maybe tomorrow or the next day and see what happens. It just sounds too coll to give up on yet

Cheers,
gryphonreader

#16  Ken Maltby 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote gryphonreader
Hi Ken

I couldn't click on anything. It didn't help that the text was about 7pt. I didn't get anything like you described, and the books were loaded with Calibre so think they were where they were supposed to be. I'll give it another shot I maybe tomorrow or the next day and see what happens. It just sounds too coll to give up on yet

Cheers,
gryphonreader
It sounds like Koreader didn't get launched properly, you could try the Kobolauncher icon (the Space Shuttle) and make sure that, that is working to include Coolreader, before doing step 9. That might establish whether the launching process itself is working properly with the new Aura.

Luck;
Ken

#17  Ken Maltby 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Trying to delete issue resolved

#18  Vandry 11-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone, i'm a new user. I bought a Kobo Aura yesterday and today i've tried this launcher.
All apps work perfectly (even Coolreader) exept for Koreader. This one freezes on the file manager: i can see the folders where i collect books, but i can't select them. It seems that touchscreen isn't recognized as input device; so the reset button is the only solution to exit (all physical buttons work)

#19  jiminrussell 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote Vandry
Hi everyone, i'm a new user. I bought a Kobo Aura yesterday and today i've tried this launcher.
All apps work perfectly (even Coolreader) exept for Koreader. This one freezes on the file manager: i can see the folders where i collect books, but i can't select them. It seems that touchscreen isn't recognized as input device; so the reset button is the only solution to exit (all physical buttons work)
I have the same experience, cool reader works great but Koreader not so much, on the Aura. I don't think it is frozen though, as I can get the screen to respond, but it is blind luck as tapping in blank part of screen will bring up menu if you tap in just the right place, it seems like the screen resolution is not set right for the Aura but I have no idea which config file needs to be changed to adjust it.

#20  Ken Maltby 11-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Quote jiminrussell
I have the same experience, cool reader works great but Koreader not so much, on the Aura. I don't think it is frozen though, as I can get the screen to respond, but it is blind luck as tapping in blank part of screen will bring up menu if you tap in just the right place, it seems like the screen resolution is not set right for the Aura but I have no idea which config file needs to be changed to adjust it.
Hopefully all such observations will help get it working on the new Aura.

I will add another note to the first post.

@Jim; From your device list it looks like you have a Glo, a Mini, and an AuraHD; as well as a new Aura. Does the process described work on your other Kobos? Does Koreader also?

Luck;
Ken

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/25)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register