Mobileread
iPad Anyone buy the new iPad Air?
#1  OtinG 12-30-2020, 02:11 PM
Anyone buy the new iPad Air? I’ve never owned one of the Air models. I currently have an old original iPad Pro 9.7 and the iPad mini 5. I love my mini 5 for reading, but it is a bit too small for heavy internet browsing. I find myself now using my iPad Pro 9.7 for most of my internet browsing, and not using my MacBook Pro for browsing as much as I once did. The iPad Pro 9.7 is getting pretty old and the technology is showing its age. I found out I can trade-in the Pro toward a new Air and get $185 for it, so I’m tempted. I’m not sure the Air is a good enough upgrade though, but the newer Pro models are out of my reach now. I would mostly use the Air for internet browsing and some video watching. I know it isn’t 4K and a doubt it can handle HDR, but perhaps the display will still look better than my old Pro does.

#2  pwalker8 12-30-2020, 04:40 PM
The specs don't really seem to show much of a difference between the air and the smaller iPad pro. You might want to check to see if Apple has a keyboard/cover for the Air. I use that on my bigger iPad Pro and it makes life a lot easier.

#3  downeaster59 12-30-2020, 07:06 PM
If you're looking at the new Air, you might want to consider this keyboard...

#4  OtinG 12-30-2020, 07:15 PM
Quote downeaster59
If you're looking at the new Air, you might want to consider this keyboard...
Thanks, looks good but it was for the older iPad Air 3, not the newer iPad Air 4. It doesn’t look like they have a version for the new Air yet. The thin bezels all around the new Air might be problematic for that keyboard’s design, but maybe they will release a newer version soon.

#5  downeaster59 12-30-2020, 08:17 PM
Got my Airs mixed up! Brydge may well have a keyboard for the Air 4 soon! No indication yet on their website.

#6  OtinG 12-30-2020, 08:23 PM
Quote downeaster59
Got my Airs mixed up! Brydge may well have a keyboard for the Air 4 soon! No indication yet on their website.
I bet they are working on it. It takes awhile after a new model is released to get the new accessories designed.

#7  JSWolf 12-30-2020, 10:33 PM
Quote pwalker8
The specs don't really seem to show much of a difference between the air and the smaller iPad pro. You might want to check to see if Apple has a keyboard/cover for the Air. I use that on my bigger iPad Pro and it makes life a lot easier.
The biggest difference is the processor. The iPad Air has a newer processor and will be supported longer before it's EOLed.

#8  OtinG 12-31-2020, 12:13 PM
Quote JSWolf
The biggest difference is the processor. The iPad Air has a newer processor and will be supported longer before it's EOLed.
True, indeed, but I think they last refreshed the iPad Pro models in March 2020, so there might be new ones coming out in three months are so. I made the mistake of buying my iPad Pro 9.7 a month before they released a newer models. I should have waited as I would have gotten a better iPad Pro for about the same price! However, I cannot justify paying the extra money for a Pro model this time around, so I'll go with the new Air model if I decide to get a new iPad. I'm still thinking about it and trying to rationalize the expense.

#9  pwalker8 01-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Quote OtinG
True, indeed, but I think they last refreshed the iPad Pro models in March 2020, so there might be new ones coming out in three months are so. I made the mistake of buying my iPad Pro 9.7 a month before they released a newer models. I should have waited as I would have gotten a better iPad Pro for about the same price! However, I cannot justify paying the extra money for a Pro model this time around, so I'll go with the new Air model if I decide to get a new iPad. I'm still thinking about it and trying to rationalize the expense.
I'm very good at rationalize the expense of techno toys.

In general, I allocate $X for techno toys a year. This year, it's probably going to be a new TV, since my main TV died a couple of months ago (no more LG TV's, that one died in less than 5 years). I could keep using the smaller, older set that I'm currently using, but I liked the larger 4K TV.

I got the iPad Pro a couple years ago and the new iPhone in 2020. Tech isn't moving so fast these days that I feel a strong need to upgrade again anytime soon. Before the TV went out, I was thinking about getting one of the new mac mini's and turning it into a content server.

#10  OtinG 01-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Quote pwalker8
I'm very good at rationalize the expense of techno toys.

In general, I allocate $X for techno toys a year. This year, it's probably going to be a new TV, since my main TV died a couple of months ago (no more LG TV's, that one died in less than 5 years). I could keep using the smaller, older set that I'm currently using, but I liked the larger 4K TV.

I got the iPad Pro a couple years ago and the new iPhone in 2020. Tech isn't moving so fast these days that I feel a strong need to upgrade again anytime soon. Before the TV went out, I was thinking about getting one of the new mac mini's and turning it into a content server.
I hear you! Me too. It is trying to determine how to spend my limited "new tech" budget that is difficult.

I'm still using a 12 year old Sony Bravia 40" LCD HDTV! It is really old now, nothing "smart" about it at all, doesn't even have WiFi, but it is still producing a great picture. I would like to get a decent 4K TV that produces good color and HDR, but they are pretty expensive. It looks like there is quite a lot of 4K HDR content available now, so I'm ready to upgrade, but I can't afford the better models. As an amateur astrophotographer I use techniques to produce some stunning HDR images, so I know how much better good HDR can look compared to SDR, so I'm anxious to get that on a TV too! Good HDR can bring out an unbelievable amount of detail in the shadows. Plenty of cheaper 4K TVs available from questionable brands which might not last too long, but the good models are still rather pricey even on the low end.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register