Mobileread
Hacking Calibre 4.0 to Run in High Sierra
#1  WarthogARJ 04-09-2020, 03:54 AM
Hi,
Is there a way to run Calibre 4.0 on High Sierra? Say by a fairly simple hack?

For various reasons I don't want to "upgrade" past High Sierra on my root/main/boot-up Mac OSX.
I can run OSx 14.0 using a VM, but I want to be be able to access 32 bit applications easily, or as Apple itself says, "without compromise", and that means OSx 14.0 is a non-starter.

I've been able to upgrade some fairly fundamental software like Xcode by a few simple hacks, and will try it with Calibre 4, but perhaps it's already been done.

I don't really see why you actually NEED > OSx 13.6 to run Calibre 4.0, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Alan

#2  kovidgoyal 04-09-2020, 03:57 AM
You need it for apples codesigning changes alone, let alone other changes to the runtime. But if you are building it yourself, you might be able to get it to run. But really if long term compatibility is important to you, macOS is very much the wrong platform for you, since Apple does not share your priorities.

#3  JSWolf 04-09-2020, 05:25 AM
Quote WarthogARJ
Hi,
Is there a way to run Calibre 4.0 on High Sierra? Say by a fairly simple hack?

For various reasons I don't want to "upgrade" past High Sierra on my root/main/boot-up Mac OSX.
I can run OSx 14.0 using a VM, but I want to be be able to access 32 bit applications easily, or as Apple itself says, "without compromise", and that means OSx 14.0 is a non-starter.

I've been able to upgrade some fairly fundamental software like Xcode by a few simple hacks, and will try it with Calibre 4, but perhaps it's already been done.

I don't really see why you actually NEED > OSx 13.6 to run Calibre 4.0, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Alan
You can plug in a USB drive and install the latest OSX on it and boot from that and run the latest Calibre. But to be honest, not upgrading will someday bite you in the a$$. Appl doesn't care about comparability otherwise, why remove 32-bit programs from running? There's no good reason for that.

#4  figdot1 05-30-2020, 12:10 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
You need it for apples codesigning changes alone, let alone other changes to the runtime. But if you are building it yourself, you might be able to get it to run. But really if long term compatibility is important to you, macOS is very much the wrong platform for you, since Apple does not share your priorities.
Not sure this is very helpful as an answer. I am in the same position. I do not want to buy a new computer. So, is the answer - you can but you need to build it yourself, or No changes mean it is not backward compatible ?

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register