Mobileread
The Light Phone, an e-ink, minimalist phone. Is there a need for this?
#11  AnotherCat 09-09-2019, 01:29 AM
Quote Deskisamess
This phone would be perfect for my elderly mother-in-law. She used a flip phone for a long time, and when it died, they got her an android phone, but she really struggles using it. She just needs calling and texting.
Nokia do a classic phone range the 3310 which does pretty much just that, so is simpler than even feature phones - available on Amazon and, I assume, other places. The cheapest 3310s are around USD50 sort of ballpark.

They also do a classic flip phone (2720) but I don't know if it is available in the USA at the moment; around 100 bucks.

Others may make similar, I am just more familiar with Nokia who have been bringing back some classic phones.

These seem to meet the original post's description too except for an E Ink display but I suspect the market for that bit would be infinitesimal .

#12  pwalker8 09-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Quote 4691mls
Fyi:. I read on Howard Forums that the CDMA deadline has been pushed back:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1914903-Verizon-Wireless-Delaying-CDMA-Retirement
If it gets pushed back, it will likely be because of some contract the Verizon has with someone. The thing to keep in mind with 3G is that over time, all the carriers have been shifting resources away from 3G. So 3G coverage is likely to get more and more spotty as the turn off date approaches. We saw the same issue when the various companies went from analog to digital, analog coverage became more and more spotty.

#13  DiapDealer 09-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Quote 4691mls
Fyi:. I read on Howard Forums that the CDMA deadline has been pushed back:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1914903-Verizon-Wireless-Delaying-CDMA-Retirement
I don't think anyone in that thread was ever able to definitively say that residential user's (Verizon) phone's would still work beyond 12/31/2019. The only thing I saw was that certain enterprise customers might be able to use the older network for a bit longer (think security/fire alarm systems with cellular out-of-band backups for land-lines). I'm going to go with the assumption that my father needs a new phone by the end of the year just to be safe.

#14  harriska2 09-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Our 4” iphone SEs cost $350, are pocketable, and do everything we need and more. Too bad Apple quit selling them. Personally I’m waiting for a apple watch that doesn’t require an iphone. That’s as minimalist as you’re getting. And it will likely be under $400 with cell enabled.

#15  Deskisamess 09-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Personally I’m waiting for a apple watch that doesn’t require an iphone.
Don't hold your breath. They are totally linked to each other. I can't see Apple changing that. I love my Apple Watch. It's one of the best pieces of tech I've ever bought.

#16  DiapDealer 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM
They've got Android watches that are Verizon 4G capable now (no phone necessary). But I'm not sure how that would work as a "minimalist" phone. One phone call would probably kill the battery. And the only way you could easily text would be by voice. A keyboard in a watch app is next to useless.

#17  tubemonkey 09-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Quote DiapDealer
A keyboard in a watch app is next to useless.

image »

#18  Deskisamess 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM
I only use my Apple Watch as a phone if I'm driving, or if I really need to answer a call but my hands are icky. I don't have a data plan for it, so can only use it as a phone if I'm on WiFi and my phone is nearby.

#19  ZodWallop 09-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Quote rcentros
I went to directly Google where the cheapest Pixel phone they had was $500 (and that was supposedly $300 off). $400 puts the Pixel in the normal high, mid-range price (I guess). I've never spent more than about $50 for a phone, so anything above that is too much for me. Especially if my aim is a "minimalist" phone. Minimal features, minimal price would seem to be the way it should work.
There's the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL which are flagship phones. Now Google has introduced the Pixel 3A and Pixel 3A XL, which are the budget versions. Very nice phone for the price. Reviews have been good. If they keep this up, when my current Pixel dies I will get the A version.

You're right about Samsung and all the additional crap they add, but would the Pixel let you get rid of Android apps you don't want (like most of them)?
As far as I know, yes. Every app I checked, including all the Google ones, show the ability to uninstall, unlike the Samsung ones.

I'm not really a minimalist phone guy. I do keep very few apps on my phone and of the ones I've used, the Google ones are usually the best. So I haven't gone out of my way to uninstall Google Maps or Gboard. But the option is there.

#20  j.p.s 09-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Quote ZodWallop
As far as I know, yes. Every app I checked, including all the Google ones, show the ability to uninstall, unlike the Samsung ones.

I'm not really a minimalist phone guy. I do keep very few apps on my phone and of the ones I've used, the Google ones are usually the best. So I haven't gone out of my way to uninstall Google Maps or Gboard. But the option is there.
What about gmail and chrome?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register