Mobileread
LibraryThing: Interview with Michael Tamblyn, Rakuten Kobo CEO
#1  PeterT 09-23-2021, 11:17 AM
From LibraryThing
https://blog.librarything.com/2021/09/an-interview-with-michael-tamblyn-rakuten-kobo-ceo/

Interview with Michael Tamblyn, Rakuten Kobo CEO

This month LibraryThing is pleased to catch up with Michael Tamblyn, the CEO of Rakuten Kobo, a Canadian ebook, audiobook and ereader company doing business in 150 countries. Tamblyn serves on the board of OverDrive, an ebook distributor working with both the non-profit and retail sectors; is involved with AGE-Well, a Canadian organization dedicated to developing technology and services for healthy aging; and is the founder of BookNet Canada, a “non-profit organization that develops technology, standards, and education to serve the Canadian book industry.”

What drew you to the book business and book technology?
Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

#2  cfrizz 09-25-2021, 11:33 AM
Very good article, here is one business man that truly knows the market!

#3  Uncle Robin 09-25-2021, 06:25 PM
I really enjoyed his comments about the "print vs ebook battle", very balanced and insightful

#4  Quoth 09-26-2021, 05:21 AM
There is no print vs ebook battle except by some people on the Internet. They both have advantages and disadvantages and some content works well on ebooks and some doesn't.

I do hope Kobo continue well and their ereaders don't follow Sony's.

#5  Uncle Robin 09-26-2021, 05:44 AM
Quote Quoth
There is no print vs ebook battle except by some people on the Internet.
Hence my use of the typographical equivalent of air quotes

#6  leebase 10-04-2021, 10:15 AM
almost makes me want to buy a kobo. Loved his perspective. But no -- too deep into the Amazon ecosystem (and happily so for the most part)

#7  theducks 10-04-2021, 12:05 PM
His 'Paper' Library vs "e-book" aligns pretty much with my take.
Paper in the Kitchen and Coffee Table (and a lot on the repair bench)

#8  usuallee 10-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Thanks for posting. The guy does seem nice and very thoughtful. I'm glad I just bought a Kobo instead of another Kindle.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register