Mobileread
New Kindle Paperwhites? (Plural, yes)
#1  ZodWallop 09-20-2021, 04:10 PM
GoodEreader (so take it with a boulder of salt) says Amazon is releasing a Paperwhite 5 and Paperwhite Signature edition. Both feature waterproofing and warmlight and 6.8" screen. The Signature one has wireless charging.

They say they were available at Amazon Canada and Mexico and have corroborating screenshots, but when I checked I saw no such beast.

Amazon is going to release Kindle Paperwhite 5 Signature Edition Soon

#2  Sirtel 09-20-2021, 04:36 PM
There are threads about this in the Kindle forum.

#3  Dazrin 09-20-2021, 04:39 PM
I hate taking anything from GER but I saw this as an article from Engadget earlier and they also had a reference to a separate leak found on Reddit. So it's something.

Hopefully the Signature Edition is a good replacement for my long-in-the-tooth Voyage at some point. I also hope they have made the move to USB-C as well.

Engadget: https://www.engadget.com/amazons-next-kindle-5-may-come-in-a-signature-edition-with-more-storage-101549272.html

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/prk1kq/is_there_gonna_be_a_new_kindle_theres_a_new/

#4  issybird 09-20-2021, 04:50 PM
I’ve never bought a Kindle, but it’s just possible that with the right deal I could fall for the Paperwhite 5. I don’t need the extra memory or bells and whistles of the Signature Edition; I only care about the size. The Oasis was always too expensive and I hated the form factor anyway; that sharp corner cut into my palm.

I know there won’t be a deal right away, but maybe by Black Friday? In any case, there’s no rush. The number of devices for which I’ve paid full retail is laughably few. It might even be none.

Quote Dazrin
I also hope they have made the move to USB-C as well.
The latest Fire HD 8 is USB-C, so I’d be stunned if these aren’t.

#5  JSWolf 09-20-2021, 05:17 PM
Quote issybird
I’ve never bought a Kindle, but it’s just possible that with the right deal I could fall for the Paperwhite 5.
Other then possibly the USB port, the PW5 is a clone of the Kobo Aura H2O. Just get one of them and you'll have something very similar that runs better software.

#6  ZodWallop 09-20-2021, 05:29 PM
Quote Sirtel
There are threads about this in the Kindle forum.
Ah, sorry dude. I looked and the thread about the firmware was at the top, so I guess I missed it.

#7  ZodWallop 09-20-2021, 05:31 PM
Quote JSWolf
Other then possibly the USB port, the PW5 is a clone of the Kobo Aura H2O. Just get one of them and you'll have something very similar that runs better software.
More accurately, the H2O2 as that was the one with warm light.

But you are right. I didn't think about it, but the new Paperwhite is sort of the H2O2 redux.

#8  ZodWallop 09-20-2021, 05:32 PM
So I wonder, will there be a new basic Kindle with a 6" 300 dpi screen? Or is Amazon ditching that market?

#9  Sirtel 09-20-2021, 05:35 PM
Quote ZodWallop
So I wonder, will there be a new basic Kindle with a 6" 300 dpi screen? Or is Amazon ditching that market?
I don't think Amazon wants to ditch their cheap, entry-level reader altogether. They've had one since 2011, 10 years. Of course I may be wrong.

167 dpi is pretty old by now. Perhaps they'll upgrade it to 200-something.

#10  John F 09-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Quote JSWolf
I thought the Aura H2Os were lower resolution screens?

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register