Mobileread
PineNote 10.3" 227dpi e-ink with Wacom announced
#1  j.p.s 08-15-2021, 02:58 PM
Pine64.org has announced a 10.3" 1404x1872 e-ink device with Wacom layer to be available later this year for $399. This will probably be a work in progress for quite some time after initial release, so anyone wanting a polished product ready for prime time doesn't need to read any further. But anyone interested in user freedom might want to keep an eye on progress. (And, of course, the priority of open drivers means the CPU and GPU won't have top tier performance.)

https://www.pine64.org/2021/08/15/introducing-the-pinenote/

https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineNote

#2  rcentros 08-15-2021, 06:03 PM
Quote j.p.s
Pine64.org has announced a 10.3" 1404x1872 e-ink device with Wacom layer to be available later this year for $399. ...
My nephew tried to make a PinePhone work for him — he gave it five or six months and finally gave up on it. So I'm a little jaded about this outfit. But I like the idea PineNote and I hope it works out for folks.

#3  j.p.s 08-16-2021, 07:44 PM
Quote rcentros
My nephew tried to make a PinePhone work for him — he gave it five or six months and finally gave up on it. So I'm a little jaded about this outfit. But I like the idea PineNote and I hope it works out for folks.
pine64.org has not yet claimed that the pinephone is ready for use as a phone. Wakeup for incoming calls, audio quality, battery drain, and charging are all problems, but progress is being made on all of them. Getting apps to fit on the screen also needs some work. To be fair, the much more expensive Purism Librem 5 not only has similar problems but also has very long wait times to buy.

A consumer ready pinenote will take some time, but I have high hopes for both it and the pinephone. A lot of community members are donating quite a bit of good work and pine64.org has been good about incorporating the best of it and even providing free hardware to some.

#4  ZodWallop 08-17-2021, 01:35 PM
Quote rcentros
My nephew tried to make a PinePhone work for him — he gave it five or six months and finally gave up on it. So I'm a little jaded about this outfit.
In general, aren't Pine64 devices intended for developers and enthusiasts?

I don't see any Pine device ever really working for me. But I'm glad they manage to continue to put stuff out.

#5  j.p.s 08-17-2021, 08:24 PM
Quote ZodWallop
In general, aren't Pine64 devices intended for developers and enthusiasts?
Pretty much, but they are aiming for them eventually have reliable full functionality and easily usable by the general population, but have no illusions that more than a few percent will ever be attracted. There is enough demand now that they are setting up retail availability but are waiting for functionality and reliability to improve enough to avoid high return rates and support calls.

I don't see any Pine device ever really working for me. But I'm glad they manage to continue to put stuff out.
If you ever want a beefy USB charger or a soldering iron you might want to check out Pine64's offerings.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register