Mobileread
[EInk Browser v8.0] A new browser app for E-Ink devices
#1  Daniel Kao 02-26-2021, 12:48 PM
As an E-Ink device lover, I bought many E-Ink devices, and use them mainly for reading ebooks, chatting, note taking, and internet surfing. Most E-Ink devices work great for book reading and note taking; however, for using them as a tablet or phone, there's still a long way to go. One of the insufficient part for me is the experience of browsing the web. I haven't found a suitable browser yet for E-Ink devices. So, I decided to customize one from an Open Source project I found on Github (it's called FOSS Browser). Here are some features I added which I found useful for an E-Ink device:

Screenshots
see attachments

If you are also looking for browsers that are suitable for your E-Ink device (with Android based platform), you can take a look at the browser I modified. Hopefully it's also useful for someone too.

Medium post: Web Browser for E-Ink Devices

Github Link

Demo Video Link

Binary Download Link
Screenshot_1614359951.png 108629000-d9088f80-7498-11eb-888f-c9984f2b2a91.png 108629116-6fd54c00-7499-11eb-9fbc-c8c97f4c5281.png 

#2  omneity 02-27-2021, 02:33 PM
Had a quick look at this earlier. The contrast for eink is way better than any other browser I've used. One thing I would love to see is a reading mode.

#3  Daniel Kao 03-23-2021, 12:57 PM
After one month of development, EinkBro comes with more feature now! And it's released on Google Play Store too. Have a look at Google Play Store if you wanna try it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.plateaukao.einkbro

To name a few:
* bold font option
* quick change font size
* print pdf (you can also set the default paper size in settings)
* customize your own tool bar
* configure touch area on screen to turn pages (just like normal ereaders does)

#4  wizz 03-25-2021, 03:39 PM
I like it, its quite handy. Thanks for developing this. Are you planning to keep this updated?

#5  Daniel Kao 03-28-2021, 11:28 AM
Yes. I will keep updating it until I implement all the features I want.

#6  Daniel Kao 03-28-2021, 11:29 AM
Hi, Reading mode is added, and with good enough results now on v8.5.0. You can try it again.

#7  kandwo 03-28-2021, 02:18 PM
Quote Daniel Kao
Hi, Reading mode is added, and with good enough results now on v8.5.0. You can try it again.
What does reading mode do exactly? Is it like a "do not disturb" mode while in the browser? Or is it even more restrictive?

I appreciate your work with the browser!

#8  omneity 03-29-2021, 02:22 AM
You're making great progress with this, well done. The reading mode works well, thanks for implementing this, it's something that Anroid eink reader manufacturers oddly omit.

The only small issue I can find now is the save to PDF option does not work on my Likebook Mars or my Onyx Boox Note Pro - nothing appears to happen when I click on the button. It's not a major for me as I use Wallabag to read long-form articles.

Once again, big thanks, your browser is now set as the default browser on my Android eink devices.

#9  Daniel Kao 03-31-2021, 11:48 AM
Quote omneity
You're making great progress with this, well done. The reading mode works well, thanks for implementing this, it's something that Anroid eink reader manufacturers oddly omit.

The only small issue I can find now is the save to PDF option does not work on my Likebook Mars or my Onyx Boox Note Pro - nothing appears to happen when I click on the button. It's not a major for me as I use Wallabag to read long-form articles.

Once again, big thanks, your browser is now set as the default browser on my Android eink devices.
Hi, glad to hear that it's useful for you. About the print feature, it depends on the Eink device OS customization. It worked on my Onyx Nova3 Color, and Note3, but not Max3 (older system comparing to Note3 and Nova3). Seems some components are missing from the device.

#10  Quoth 04-02-2021, 08:04 AM
I tried this.
I found the settings awkward. The menu buttons too small on a 7.8" Mars eInk with Android 8.x
Why does it open with Google Search? It's not what it was because it's poisoned by their own activities and it's privacy busting.
The Toolbar, especially URL, should optionally be at the top. There is no question of doing other than page turns one handed on most eink. Phone shaped ones are very rare.

Does it actually paginate a web page like the browser on the Kindle DX and DXG? I gave up before getting that far. Unless it converts scrolling to pages there is no point?

Does it freeze animated gif and autoplay video at the first frame?

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register