Mobileread
Hisense A7 5G
#11  binaryhermit 12-22-2020, 01:32 PM
the bump up's probably only really noticeable for hardcore gaming, but that's not something you're gonna do on eInk

#12  afainber 12-23-2020, 03:04 PM
Quote kandwo
Today Hisense announced the release of their new e-ink smartphone, the A7 5G. What do we know? I haven't been able to find much information about the phone as I don't know Chinese and the webpage won't load for me fully. It is said to be a global release, so I guess that means Google Play?

Here is a link to the phone: https://item.jd.com/100009643325.html

According information posted to a reddit thread, it's going to be bigger than the A5: https://old.reddit.com/r/eink/comments/ki1x2y/the_new_hisense_a7_just_hit_the_shelves_1999_yuan/ (6.7 inches, according to the post) and will be followed by a colour version in February.

What do you think?

Myself, I'm a bit torn - I don't need a bigger screen and 5G, which I think has the potential to be a big battery drain. But if it has a faster processor than the A5 Pro and warm frontlight, I might consider it.
I didn't see any mention of a warm frontlight

#13  kandwo 12-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Here's a promotional video of the phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GE4pwpN-g

It really does look huge!

I'm interested in the updated software that they're talking about. I hope it gets backported to the A5 models.

The best thing to happen now would be a global release of both A5 and A7 - that would make me really happy

#14  Question Mark 12-23-2020, 06:27 PM
Quote kandwo
Here's a promotional video of the phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GE4pwpN-g

It really does look huge!
Wow! That's a tablet. Not a phone. Just as well because it means that there is no temptation to get one.

Now, if they came out with something like that, but smaller than the A5, it would be a different story. I would be sorely tempted.

#15  cqman 12-24-2020, 03:46 AM
Quote kandwo

I'm interested in the updated software that they're talking about. I hope it gets backported to the A5 models.

The best thing to happen now would be a global release of both A5 and A7 - that would make me really happy
With the release of A7, the new features were ported to A5 models as well.

I've updated mine to version 2020.12.22.

#16  rowe 12-24-2020, 11:08 AM
On the warm light issue...
Using the built in light, I prefer reading on an A5 at night compared to any other e-ink device I've owned (including Kindle Oasis 1/2, Voyage, Boox Nova 2).

On those devices, the lighting is more harsh that the A5 IMO. Including the Nova 2 which has warm light.

When reading in the dark, it works well to set the background as grey. I've set this up as a 'night mode' in MoonReader+.

The Hisense phones are also much more robust than most ereaders (mine is always in my pocket). And it's great to have the page turn buttons in an ergonomic position (and remote compatibility).

The 16:9 ratio is good for readability, as line lengths should be fairly short. But not good for things with fixed layouts based on traditional paper sizes - like manga.

The things I don't like about the A5:
- low PPI (now fixed on the A7)
- that the screen is only matte because they've applied a screen protector at the factory
- it has a bunch of things I've paid for and carry but will never use (cameras, speaker, mic, sim slot, modem)
- under direct sunlight the screen needs to be regularly manually cleared
- no usb-c or quick charge (now fixed on the A7)
- although I like the tone of the A5 lighting, it's not as uniform as on other modern e-readers

I'll only be tempted to upgrade by a significantly improved model that's a similar size to the A5. It's not perfect, but I still love my A5.

#17  Question Mark 12-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Quote cqman
With the release of A7, the new features were ported to A5 models as well.

I've updated mine to version 2020.12.22.
I'm currently installing the update for my A5 Pro CC.

Sadly, there is no new update for my regular A5 model and hasn't been since September. It's still on version: L1657.6.11.01.00.

However, I'm pretty pleased with my regular A5 the way it is so it's not a complaint, just a clarification that the updates are only for the newer models of the A5 family.

#18  binaryhermit 12-24-2020, 09:06 PM
Quote rowe

The 16:9 ratio is good for readability, as line lengths should be fairly short. But not good for things with fixed layouts based on traditional paper sizes - like manga.
Perhaps I'm a weirdo, but I find my eInk kindles way nicer to read on when it comes to aspect ratio than my ... 18.5:9 I think Pixel 3a or 19.5:9 Pixel 4a that I replaced it with.

#19  epaper 12-24-2020, 10:08 PM
First look preview video of the Hisense A7 (B/W version)

#20  epaper 12-24-2020, 10:10 PM
Quote binaryhermit
Perhaps I'm a weirdo, but I find my eInk kindles way nicer to read on when it comes to aspect ratio than my ... 18.5:9 I think Pixel 3a or 19.5:9 Pixel 4a that I replaced it with.
i agree. the ratio of the kindle and other ereaders is best for reading. similar to a real book. But the a7's ratio will have better portability- easier to carry around in your pocket- thats the main important thing for me, ratio is not a deal breaker.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register