Mobileread
Ebook reader that is good for manga
#11  azayn 10-11-2020, 01:28 AM
I read graphic novels on occasion and IMO, any eInk screen less than 11” is suboptimal. Smaller screens would lead to constant pinching and zooming for which the slow refresh rate of eInk is poorly suited. When I do read a graphic novel or manga, I use my iPad as it can easily handle the various formats including image files and smoother navigation.

#12  kinda_confused 10-11-2020, 05:10 AM
Quote azayn
I read graphic novels on occasion and IMO, any eInk screen less than 11” is suboptimal. Smaller screens would lead to constant pinching and zooming for which the slow refresh rate of eInk is poorly suited. When I do read a graphic novel or manga, I use my iPad as it can easily handle the various formats including image files and smoother navigation.
Thank you for your reply!!

image »

If we're talking about western comic book and graphic novels, I totally agree. But Japanese manga has a significantly smaller book size to begin with.

I'm used to reading manga on my 6" phone with frequent zooming, so I thought I would need at least an 8" ereader, but now I realize my phone's ratio is suboptimal for manga and part of the screen is actually left unused, and it's more like 4-5". Probably 6" would be ok for manga (this is what I gather from youtube reviews and the posts here), but I'd rather still go for the 7" Kobo Libra H20 (the price difference between it and Forma seems to big for just 1").

#13  Dr. Drib 10-11-2020, 10:33 AM
You may wish to wait for some of the color devices that are starting to emerge. (A few are already available.)

#14  JSWolf 10-11-2020, 03:37 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
You may wish to wait for some of the color devices that are starting to emerge. (A few are already available.)
Manga is B&W. The new color screens have much less contrast for B&W. I say forget color screens for now.

#15  salamanderjuice 10-11-2020, 03:50 PM
I would go with a 7.8" or 8" reader. It's almost exactly the same size as a typical tankoban volume. 6" is doable, but some text can be miniscule. The Oynx running Android allows it to run Tachiyomi which is great if you use any scanlation sites at all.

Another option to the Oynx is the Likebook Mars. You lose Wacom Pen support, older version of Android and a little slower but it is cheaper.

Otherwise I'd go with a Kobo Forma or a used Kobo Aura One if you can find it. Kindles don't do .cbz or .cbr out of the box.

#16  ottischwenk 10-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Quote salamanderjuice
Another option to the Oynx is the Likebook Mars. You lose Wacom Pen support, older version of Android and a little slower but it is cheaper.
Likebook Ares:
with Wacom Pen, now with Android 8.1

#17  Dr. Drib 10-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Quote JSWolf
Manga is B&W. The new color screens have much less contrast for B&W. I say forget color screens for now.
Thanks, Jon.

Obviously, I've made a big error.

#18  salamanderjuice 10-11-2020, 06:41 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Likebook Ares:
with Wacom Pen, now with Android 8.1
Yeah, but it costs more than the Mars and you don't need Wacom pen support to read manga...

#19  DNSB 10-12-2020, 04:06 PM
Quote kinda_confused
*A wild Necromancer appears*

image »

Sorry to necro the thread, but it comes up as one of the most relevant hits.
Adding to a year old thread isn't close to necroposting compared to some of the examples I've seen.

As for my personal suggestions, my daughter is currently using her Libra for Japanese manga but she has the advantage of young eyes. The few that she has in colour, she uses her iPad for. My personal ereader is the Forma but I mostly reading epub text fiction.

The firmware for the Forma and Libra are the same. In the Kobo thread, there is a project called the Ultimate Manga Reader (hubris anyone?).

#20  ratinox 10-12-2020, 04:26 PM
As a manga reader, Kobo Forma or Aura ONE are about as small as I would recommend for manga. In addition to physical size you want good contrast and relatively high dot pitch. Here's my comparison of my Kindle DX and my Forma for reference:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=32

I'm not a fan of the Android readers. They run very obsolete verisons of the OS with all of the problems this entails. If you're thinking about a larger device then get an iPad.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register