Mobileread
UK ebooks VAT 20%->0% 1st May 2020
#11  pdurrant 05-01-2020, 04:29 AM
Of the top 20 Kindle best sellers, only seven seem to have prices not set by the publisher, and I can find only one which might have seen VAT removed.

Normal People, which is usually around £4.50 (lots of minor price changes), and dropped to £2.48 on 27th April for one day, is today £2.07 (= £2.48 less VAT).

#12  JSWolf 05-01-2020, 05:00 AM
Sure the publisher sets the price, but on Amazon, VAT is still being applied against the law. Why is Amazon still charging VAT when they are legally bound not to charge VAT?

#13  pdurrant 05-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Quote JSWolf
Sure the publisher sets the price, but on Amazon, VAT is still being applied against the law. Why is Amazon still charging VAT when they are legally bound not to charge VAT?
Amazon are no longer charging VAT on ebooks in the UK.

However, they are not changing the prices on books where the price is set by the publisher. This includes all KDP books.

But KDP publishers can go and change the UK price themselves. The minimum UK price is now £0.77 for KDP books, with no VAT.

(I've just done this for my 3 PD books.)

#14  JSWolf 05-01-2020, 09:04 AM
When you do a search, the results still says includes VAT and that's no legal. The idea was to make eBooks cheaper and that's not happening.

#15  stumped 05-01-2020, 09:10 AM
example please, as I could not find one.

if i look for random books I only get stuff like
Print List Price: £20.00
Kindle Price: £9.99
Save £10.01 (50%)

Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
This price was set by the publisher.

i still have not found anything that is cheaper than yesterday

just nitpicking now:
if vat is zero, does that make includes VAT a false statement? It could be construed as includes 0% VAT, or includes [all applicable] VAT ?. ( a bit like includes zero calories )

#16  pdurrant 05-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Quote JSWolf
When you do a search, the results still says includes VAT and that's no legal. The idea was to make eBooks cheaper and that's not happening.
I agree that the text still appears in search results. But since the prices DO include VAT. 0% VAT.

(There's a technical difference between being exempt from VAT and attracting 0% VAT.)

There's an oddity with my PD books on KDP. I just went and adjusted the UK price to £0.77 in the UK, but all three are now showing as free. I don't why that's happened.

#17  JSWolf 05-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Why are prices not lower due to no longer having to charge at on eBooks?

#18  JSWolf 05-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Quote pdurrant
I agree that the text still appears in search results. But since the prices DO include VAT. 0% VAT.
Yesterday I was looking at an eBook that was £7.99 with 20% VAT. Now with 0% VAt, the same eBook is still £7.99. Why is that? Why are customers being cheated?

#19  stumped 05-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Quote JSWolf
Why are prices not lower due to no longer having to charge at on eBooks?
because....capitalism

PS to all, another great feature of VAT is that criminals extract €50Billion per annum from that designed-by-committee wonder tax

I doubt that's possible with USA sales tax

and hey-ho, not our (UK) problem anymore

VAT fraud that involves goods crossing borders within the EU costs governments €50 billion per year, according to Pierre Moscovici, Commissioner for the EU’s Economic and Financial Affairs Taxation and Customs Division

#20  JSWolf 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM
In the US when we have a sales tax free day, prices are not raised because of no sales tax. Also, in a state such as New Hampshire where they don't have sales tax, prices are not higher to make up for no sales tax.

Is this a scam by the publishers? Is this a scam by the stores? Or is this a scam by both? But in any case, it is a scam.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register