Mobileread
Actually Bought A Book
#11  HolyAura 10-29-2019, 08:23 AM
I used to go to the bookstore every week until I heard about ereaders.

#12  Apache 10-29-2019, 09:25 AM
The last local used bookstore closed years ago here.
Apache

#13  JSWolf 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM
@leebase, this thread is ridiculous and needs to go.

An eBook is a book. So don't start with this a pBook is a book and an eBook is not. That's just rather pathetic. You should know better by now that a Book is not just the container/

#14  DiapDealer 10-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Quote JSWolf
@leebase, this thread is ridiculous and needs to go.

An eBook is a book. So don't start with this a pBook is a book and an eBook is not. That's just rather pathetic. You should know better by now that a Book is not just the container/
Can I ask why you've suddenly decided to go off on this thread after already responding so reasonably to it above?

#15  JSWolf 10-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Quote DiapDealer
Can I ask why you've suddenly decided to go off on this thread after already responding so reasonably to it above?
Because I just realized that this thread is saying that eBooks are not real books. Saying that eBooks are not real books is just wrong.

However, you could fix the thread y changing the topic to "Actually bought a pBook" or "Actually bought a paper book"

#16  DiapDealer 10-29-2019, 07:32 PM
Quote JSWolf
However, you could fix the thread y changing the topic to "Actually bought a pBook" or "Actually bought a paper book"
Can you guess what my answer to that unwarranted request is?

#17  leebase 10-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Lol! People will always find something to complain about.

Clearly I am someone who loves ebooks. So much so, that it was worth noting that I went to buy a book....something I hadn’t done in years.

#18  pwalker8 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM
Quote leebase
Lol! People will always find something to complain about.

Clearly I am someone who loves ebooks. So much so, that it was worth noting that I went to buy a book....something I hadn’t done in years.
I hope you didn't carry your ebook reader in the book store with you, or at least wore sunglasses and a hat.

#19  mdp 11-02-2019, 09:43 AM
Physical bookstores are strictly required.

As I expressed in
Physical bookstores with a numerous (100'000+ volumes) collection?
«the chief purpose and benefit of electronic format is flexibility of use (storage, work etc.), but it does not match the importance of physical format for decision making (text sieving, discovery and assessment)»

Moreover, there is a fundamental principle which I increasingly find surprising I need to make explicit in current society: privacy and anonymity. The identity of the books I read, like almost everything else, is strictly personal to the outmost terms, by principle and more. There may be a subset which I may accept get stored in a database, and that remains an exception. For the rest, when I approach something, that remains a private event in which my identity and that of the object must remain concealed. A shopkeeper takes the cash and will not store the relation between the buyer and the purchased.

#20  DiapDealer 11-02-2019, 10:06 AM
Quote mdp
Moreover, there is a fundamental principle which I increasingly find surprising I need to make explicit in current society: privacy and anonymity. The identity of the books I read, like almost everything else, is strictly personal to the outmost terms, by principle and more.
The reason it's increasingly surprising to you is that its not a principle that's as fundamentally held as you believed it to be. *shrug*

I understand that some people feel that way--and that's fine. But like it or not, the internet is changing how society views privacy and anonymity. And there never was a "life, liberty, and the pursuit of anonymity" clause.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register