Mobileread
Harlequin to stop providing ebook downloads from 12th November 2018
#71  fjtorres 01-30-2020, 11:09 AM
Quote JSWolf
B&N is another stupid company. They've lost a lot of eBook sales due to taking away the direct download and discontinuing the desktop app.
The big damage isn't even on the desktop: Windows tablets make up about a third (~150M) of PC sales, these days. Tablets and laptops make over 70%.

Even if only 2-3% of WinTab owners use them to read books, that's a few million customers. That's why MS tried to partner with Nook and then put ebook support into the old EDGE browser. As they say, "a million here, a million there, pretty soon it adds up to real money."

#72  JSWolf 01-30-2020, 03:32 PM
Quote fjtorres
The big damage isn't even on the desktop: Windows tablets make up about a third (~150M) of PC sales, these days. Tablets and laptops make over 70%.

Even if only 2-3% of WinTab owners use them to read books, that's a few million customers. That's why MS tried to partner with Nook and then put ebook support into the old EDGE browser. As they say, "a million here, a million there, pretty soon it adds up to real money."
When I was able to download eBooks from B&N using the desktop app, I was able to remove the DRM and because of that, I did buy from B&N. Now I buy nothing from B&N.

#73  Apache 01-30-2020, 04:03 PM
Quote JSWolf
When I was able to download eBooks from B&N using the desktop app, I was able to remove the DRM and because of that, I did buy from B&N. Now I buy nothing from B&N.
The same here.
Apache

#74  ZodWallop 01-30-2020, 07:00 PM
Quote AnemicOak
Similar to BookShout in that you need to use a web browser or their app to read.
I'm far from an expert on Harlequin, but you can still buy their books from Amazon and Kobo, can't you? Five pages is a lot to wade through, but I thought you were only stuck with BookShout/Glose if you buy directly from Harlequin? If I'm right (and I think I am) I don't see what the shouting is about.

#75  FizzyWater 01-30-2020, 08:22 PM
Quote ZodWallop
I'm far from an expert on Harlequin, but you can still buy their books from Amazon and Kobo, can't you? Five pages is a lot to wade through, but I thought you were only stuck with BookShout/Glose if you buy directly from Harlequin? If I'm right (and I think I am) I don't see what the shouting is about.
I think the problem to those who care is that buying directly from Harlequin had some benefits for those who read a lot. For one, you could get many of their books a month earlier than the general release. The also had specials not available elsewhere.

I think there was a kind of deal - like buy 10, get 1 free - or something like that too.

And they still have a program where you can earn points in various ways to "spend" on ebooks on their site.

#76  MobileJanie 01-31-2020, 02:04 AM
Quote FizzyWater
I think the problem to those who care is that buying directly from Harlequin had some benefits for those who read a lot. For one, you could get many of their books a month earlier than the general release. The also had specials not available elsewhere.

I think there was a kind of deal - like buy 10, get 1 free - or something like that too.

And they still have a program where you can earn points in various ways to "spend" on ebooks on their site.
Exactly right. I used to buy three of their 'bundle' books each month, they have specials on each Friday e.g. today is "Buy 4 get 2 free". Which to a regular purchaser like me is a great deal. Most months they would have a "Buy 2 get 1 free" deal, so I'd pay $34 for $50 face value books. In addition, that $34 would earn me 3400 reward points. They could be redeemed for a single book. (Cost 2000 points, so almost two extra free books each month).

I have about 500 Harlequin books in my collection, mostly bundles, some singles, also many other books from their imprints like Mira. Since they went to Bookshout, and I was no longer going to be able to download MY books, I haven't bought one of their books. If nothing else, their move to Bookshout made me think about my reading habits - I can read these lightweight Harlequin romances over again, and that's what I've been doing when in need of a romance.

I know they haven't missed my patronage, but I haven't missed them either.

#77  AnemicOak 01-31-2020, 11:39 PM
Quote Apache
I wonder why Harlequin would replace on failing company with another company with the same business model? Of course I also wondered why one failing company would spend their money to buy another failing company (Sears/Kmart).
Apache
Because their parent company (HarperCollins) is seemingly big on this model and told them too. Just like it was a matter of time earlier for them to switch from OverDrive to BookShout (who Harper used previously) once HarperCollins bought them.

« First  « Prev   (8/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register