Mobileread
Scheduled Server Migration Nov 23 (Sunday) @ 3:00am EST
#1  Alexander Turcic 11-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

MobileRead will be offline for server migration work this coming Sunday at 3:00am EST for approximately one to two hours.

We'll be moving our equipment to a new location somewhere scenic very close to New York City. That's right, au revoir Canada, you served us well in the past. Yet time has come to embrace new opportunities with more competitive and better hosting options.

In preparation, we've lowered the time-to-live values of our DNS entries to a minimum, hoping for the best that your local ISP will quickly pick up our new IP address.

Until then... keep calm and fingers crossed!

Yours faithfully,
Alex

[image credit: Keith Allison/Wikipedia]

#2  Lynx-lynx 11-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks for letting us know Alex.

What does that mean for public domain books that meet the 50 year out of copyright laws in the MR Library as the servers are going to the US?

#3  Alexander Turcic 11-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Quote Lynx-lynx
What does that mean for public domain books that meet the 50 year out of copyright laws in the MR Library as the servers are going to the US?
Unfortunately many rights holders do not distinguish between US based sites and international sites, and they happily send out cease and desist notices (or worse) based on US law. To make life easier for us, we have recently adopted a new rule to make the library strictly compliant with "Life+70" copyright law. New book uploads have to be either in the "Life+70" public domain, or covered by a CC (or similar) licence. Existing uploads will be kept for archival purposes in a separate forum section with file attachments removed. When a work enters Life+70 it will be available again for download.

#4  basschick 11-20-2014, 10:00 PM
good luck with the move - hope it goes smoothly!

#5  WT Sharpe 11-20-2014, 10:37 PM
I, for one, couldn't be happier. The daily commute to Canada to moderate was killing me.

#6  PeterT 11-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Heck, the commute to Canada was the least of my worries!

#7  Alexander Turcic 11-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Quote PeterT
Heck, the commute to Canada was the least of my worries!
Except, with this year's "historic" snowfalls, the commute is worse than ever!

#8  sian 11-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Quote Lynx-lynx
Thanks for letting us know Alex.

thanks for the heads up . can u tell me what time this starts in uk? as i want have a destraction plan , ( ebook read a thone !)

hope move goes well ( been there done that with my forums)
sian

#9  sian 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Quote WT Sharpe
I, for one, couldn't be happier. The daily commute to Canada to moderate was killing me.

#10  Alexander Turcic 11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Quote sian
thanks for the heads up . can u tell me what time this starts in uk? as i want have a destraction plan , ( ebook read a thone !)

hope move goes well ( been there done that with my forums)
sian
Thank you! UK time would be 8am. You should still be asleep by then.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register