Mobileread
6 of One...
#11  pshrynk 07-29-2008, 03:36 PM
7 of 4 here. Please step this way. Mind the blood stains. Have a seat in this chair. Thank you.

#12  slayda 07-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Quote RickyMaveety
So true ... so true. It's 102 degrees outside, I have 480 pounds of kitty litter to unpack from the car, in addition there are 72 cases of cat food to unpack and stock, and 60 pounds of dry food. I am hoping that when I pass out (and it isn't a matter of "if" ... only "when") I will awake to find I'm standing in the land of pandas with a cool breeze blowing at my back watching a few ride by on their pennyfarthings.
Hopefully the cats won't eat you while you're passed out & helpless!

#13  RickyMaveety 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Quote slayda
Hopefully the cats won't eat you while you're passed out & helpless!
That's why I leave a lot of dry food out for them ... so I at least have some leeway for periods spent passed out on the floor.

I just finished ... and it really is all in the numbers. My back is now more or less permanentsly shaped as the number 2 and in pain of a level 9 out of 10 with 10 being "please pass the morphine." I have Excedrine headache number 5 (that started just about the time that Duncan ran out the front door and into the yard). I'm baking brownies with walnuts for tonight's party in an 8 x 8 pan, but the walnut chunks are HUGE because I can't remember where the lid to my 1 and only nut chopper is. And, I need to unbury my miter saw so I can finish up the work framing out the chalkboard in the kitchen, but it is buried under 21 tons of crap in the garage.

(Pant, pant, groan, whine .... PANT!!)

#14  RWood 07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I assume that Steve is on the jazz again testing out plot devices for his next book.

#15  RickyMaveety 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Quote RWood
I assume that Steve is on the jazz again testing out plot devices for his next book.
I hope so .... either that or they are remaking "The Prisoner" with an all panda cast.

#16  slayda 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Quote RickyMaveety
That's why I leave a lot of dry food out for them ... so I at least have some leeway for periods spent passed out on the floor.

I just finished ... and it really is all in the numbers. My back is now more or less permanentsly shaped as the number 2 and in pain of a level 9 out of 10 with 10 being "please pass the morphine." I have Excedrine headache number 5 (that started just about the time that Duncan ran out the front door and into the yard). I'm baking brownies with walnuts for tonight's party in an 8 x 8 pan, but the walnut chunks are HUGE because I can't remember where the lid to my 1 and only nut chopper is. And, I need to unbury my miter saw so I can finish up the work framing out the chalkboard in the kitchen, but it is buried under 21 tons of crap in the garage.

(Pant, pant, groan, whine .... PANT!!)
Sounds like you need to call "Two Men and a Truck".

#17  RickyMaveety 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Quote slayda
Sounds like you need to call "Two Men and a Truck".
Nah .... "Two Pandas and a Truck." Actually, it's a fairly normal day for me, except for the fact that it's so freaking HOT!!

#18  DixieGal 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
C'mon Steve, I'm waiting for Part III.
(I couldn't stay away from MR even for a single afternoon)

#19  Steven Lyle Jordan 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Quote RWood
Naahh... just needed to air out my brainpan a bit. More to come...

#20  Steven Lyle Jordan 07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Finding "the green dome" was easy... you could see it from a mile away. I approached, pointedly ignoring the pandas that walked about all around the town, and who pointedly ignored me right back. (I could not help but notice two pandas, walking together, with the numbers "86" and "99" on their faces.) The ornate door opened, like my new home's door, before I had the chance to knock.

Inside the door... what else? Another panda. This one was smaller than the average panda... a youngling, maybe. He looked up at me, then turned, and trotted down a hall. At the end of the hall, a door opened automatically, and the panda trotted inside. Taking the hint, I followed the mini-panda into the room.

Unlike everything I'd seen in this goofy village, which looked like a Victorian's wet dream, the room I stepped into now was right out of the next century: It was overall round, with a high rounded ceiling. The walls had projected images of what looked like parts of the village. A strange multi-colored light show seemed to revolve around the room, mildly distracting, but soothing at the same time. And in the center of the room, was a large, black ball.

No, wait, it began revolving... it was a chair. And as it turned to face me, I confronted the first human being I'd seen since I walked out of my job that day. It was a man... a big bear of a man. He was dressed in a white suit, wearing black gloves and black shoes. I don't know what nationality he was, because his face was painted white... I mean Rinso white... and around his left eye was a number, painted in black: A number two.

This strange man smiled--I think--and said in a booming voice, "Welcome, welcome! So nice to meet you at last, old chap! How was your trip over?"

I started to answer him directly, but thought of a better response: "My trip to where?"

"Eh?"

"Where am I?"

"Where? Well, isn't it obvious?" The strange man stood up, and ambled over to me. Now I could see he was smiling.

"You're in the Zoo, my boy..."

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/14)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register