Mobileread
Book Creation Tutorials
#11  tompe 11-07-2007, 06:07 AM
FBReader should work: http://www.fbreader.org/

#12  JSWolf 11-07-2007, 06:12 AM
You could download the Mobipocket reader from Mobipocket. The iLiad books are just text based. There is no reason they won't work with the Gen3 or Mobipocket Desktop.

#13  astra 11-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Quote tompe
FBReader should work: http://www.fbreader.org/
Thanks.

JSWolf
this one - Mobipocket Reader Desktop 6.0?

#14  astra 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Quote HarryT
Use the "Palm" option. Set the format to "MobiPocket" and the device to anything except "Palm B&W". All the other three device options are the same, and give you colour pictures in the resulting file, which is nice if you're using the desktop reader.

One thing to note with Mobi books is that you need to insert MANUAL pagebreaks at the start of chapters - you don't get them automatically as you do with the Sony Reader option.
I have done it as you explained and it works fine - manual page breaks and TOC. There is only one thing I miss. When I am at the beginning of a book (where my TOC is located) I can choose any chapter I want and it takes me over there. What if I want to jump to another chapter? How do I get to this page where I have TOC, so I can choose where to go?
In Sony reader it is not a function of LRF, it is reader's function, I just hit MENU wheel once it gets me back to TOC.
What do you do in iLiad? Is it possible?

#15  adfleisher 12-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Has anyone found a decent way to create Mobi books in OS X?

#16  HarryT 12-22-2007, 11:56 AM
I've had a very useful day today; I've figured out how to create a "proper" MobiPocket format book (using the free "MobiPocket Creator" tool), using a BD-generated book at the starting point. I've posted a new version of "Bleak House" as my first example of this.

Once I figured out how to do it, it's pretty straightforward. I'd guess that, given a nice book in BD, one can have a Mobi version created with about 10 minutes work.

Anyone interested in a tutorial about how to do it?

The benefits of a proper Mobi version are many:

- Proper metadata in the file for author, title, category, etc, so it shows up properly in the library of a Mobi device.

- Full-sized cover image and pictures within the book (BD shrinks them down to tiny images).

- Centred text for titles, etc. (it all comes out left-aligned with a BD book).

- Proper "table of contents" link in the reading device.

etc etc.

I'm feeling very pleased with myself about this! I can now, finally, create illustrated MobiPocket books which as as nice as those I've created previously for the Sony Reader.

#17  Sparrow 12-22-2007, 12:58 PM
I'd love to see a tutorial - the version of 'Bleak House' looks brilliant; many thanks

#18  Strether 12-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Boy, I'd really be interested, Harry, if you'd be so good as to take the time. And would you tell us what version of the Book Creator you're using and whether it's the Home or Professional edition?

Jim

#19  cmbs 12-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Quote HarryT
I've had a very useful day today; I've figured out how to create a "proper" MobiPocket format book (using the free "MobiPocket Creator" tool), using a BD-generated book at the starting point. I've posted a new version of "Bleak House" as my first example of this.

Once I figured out how to do it, it's pretty straightforward. I'd guess that, given a nice book in BD, one can have a Mobi version created with about 10 minutes work.

Anyone interested in a tutorial about how to do it?

The benefits of a proper Mobi version are many:

- Proper metadata in the file for author, title, category, etc, so it shows up properly in the library of a Mobi device.

- Full-sized cover image and pictures within the book (BD shrinks them down to tiny images).

- Centred text for titles, etc. (it all comes out left-aligned with a BD book).

- Proper "table of contents" link in the reading device.

etc etc.

I'm feeling very pleased with myself about this! I can now, finally, create illustrated MobiPocket books which as as nice as those I've created previously for the Sony Reader.
nice.

#20  DocSavage 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I have been madly tweeking and peaking both HarryT's tutorial and the perl script if found for creating mobi files for my brand new kindle. On my Sony I was able to create 'collections' that could group series of books together in the order they were to be read. Is there a way to do this in the creation process for the Kindle/Mobi? Is there some sort of metadata that can be set?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register