Mobileread
What options are there for 10"+ tablets that can be used as monitors?
#1  JawadLeLogeur 06-23-2020, 04:42 PM
I'm aware of Dasung's 13" but based on my budget I will be limited to 10" most likely. I'm aware that using a 10"screen as a monitor will be uncomfortable but the eink aspect would make it worth it for me.

Is there anything else out there?

edit: also I would be open to the idea of assembling my own e-ink monitor ghetto-style but since the price gouging on eink screens is the fundamental source of the high prices found with eink products I figure it might be pointless

#2  Quoth 06-24-2020, 06:54 AM
Almost no actual applications are suitable for eInk. For instance it's impossible to use Firefox, thunderbird, Notepad++, MS Office, Libre Office etc in paged mode rather than "infinite" scroll mode.

The best solution is to never work outdoors, have controlled artificial lighting, non-glare/matte LCD screen and brightness such that white is about the same a paper under the ambient light. Most people have the brightness too high and lights or daylight reflecting of the screen. Do not be facing into lighting or daylight.

#3  JawadLeLogeur 06-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Quote Quoth
Almost no actual applications are suitable for eInk. For instance it's impossible to use Firefox, thunderbird, Notepad++, MS Office, Libre Office etc in paged mode rather than "infinite" scroll mode.

The best solution is to never work outdoors, have controlled artificial lighting, non-glare/matte LCD screen and brightness such that white is about the same a paper under the ambient light. Most people have the brightness too high and lights or daylight reflecting of the screen. Do not be facing into lighting or daylight.
My current setup is that I have a non-glare matte LCD screen with very low brightness and a small degree of orange hue applied with Night Light in Windows. I have my desk next to the window, with the window behind the monitor. I often do focusing exercises thanks to this by looking into the distance to rest the eyes. Is this the sort of thing you meant by facing into daylight?

#4  Quoth 06-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Never have the window behind the screen, also it's not great behind you. Be at right angles or fit blinds or curtains.

Unconscious changing of focus distance caused by movement causes headaches. If you don't need glasses, or have properly selected glasses, there is no need to look into the distance.

Make sure the keyboard is near the edge of the desk and you are close to it so that the screen is at your most comfortable reading distance to read a novel for hours.

#5  Deskisamess 06-24-2020, 06:19 PM
If you don't need glasses, or have properly selected glasses, there is no need to look into the distance.
That's not correct.

If you find yourself gazing at screens all day, your eye doctor may have mentioned this rule to you. Basically, every 20 minutes spent using a screen, you should try to look away at something that is 20 feet away from you for a total of 20 seconds.

Taking frequent breaks to look at faraway objects during screen time significantly lessened their eye strain symptoms. In other words, the 20-20-20 rule works.

From here: https://www.healthline.com/health/eye-health/20-20-20-rule#research

#6  ottischwenk 06-25-2020, 12:46 AM
Quote Quoth
I have no problems with my Likebook Alita in A2 Mode.
Boox Nova X should also be able to do this.
But I don't know how I could use these devices as a monitor - possibly via USB OTG.
And I can also use it outside in the blazing sunshine.
My Likebook Alita is my garden/sunshine computer.

#7  notwaiting 06-26-2020, 10:17 AM
i would think the Hisense Q5 with a matte screen protector is probably the best bet if the HDMI port allows it. I'm thinking of getting one but it's hard to decide between that and colour eink phones.

I used the Likebook Mimas as a monitor (wifi/vnc) for a few months before getting a Max2, and the combination of the slowness over wifi and the screen size strained my eyes after a bit, but it was "ok". Eink is good as monitor if you can replace all mouse related actions. I use linux+xmonad.

Two of them side by side would be alright probably.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register