Mobileread
Can't open Kindle in Kindle?
#11  DiapDealer 06-03-2020, 11:33 AM
I was under the impression that ebooks sideloaded via itunes to the Mac Kindle reading app had to be in the AZK format. That's why the ability of generating an AZK with KindlePreviewer was added: so that kindle books could be previewed in the Kindle reading app on iOS by sideloading. Has that changed?

#12  jhowell 06-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Quote DiapDealer
I was under the impression that ebooks sideloaded via itunes to the Mac Kindle reading app had to be in the AZK format. That's why the ability of generating an AZK with KindlePreviewer was added: so that kindle books could be previewed in the Kindle reading app on iOS by sideloading. Has that changed?
Still the same.

The Kindle for iOS app supports the original MOBI format and the latest KFX format. It does not support KF8 (AZW3) and so AZK is used to provide an equivalent to that.

#13  DiapDealer 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Ah... OK, thanks. I knew AZK was the only option for something, I just didn't remember it was specifically for previewing KF8.

#14  Quoth 06-04-2020, 03:45 AM
Quote Deskisamess
Your comments makes it sound as if mobi can't be used on newer Kindle models, and that only Amazon books can be read in the iOS Kindle app. Neither is correct.
That wasn't my intent. The older Kindles can only read the old mobi, or the old part of a dual mobi. The iOS Kindle app is more limited than a real kindle or a third party epub app.

#15  JSWolf 06-04-2020, 03:49 AM
Quote SigilBear
I created an epub in Sigil. Then I opened it in Calibre and converted it to a MOBI.

I then discovered that I can't open it with my Kindle for Mac. If I right-click on the icon and choose "open with," Kindle is grayed out.

If I open Kindle for Mac, then it isn't even clear how I'm support to import a book. I can click File > Add/Remove Book from Collection, but that doesn't accomplish anything. There is a more intuitice choice: File > Import PDF. But I don't see File > Import Epub, or File > Import MOBI.

So what's the magic trick for importing a Kindle epub into a Kindle reader?

Related question: How can I verify that an epub has in fact been successfully converted to a MOBI?

I have the original epub and the MOBI conversion side by side. They both look the same, except the cover picture doesn't display on the original. If I double-click on them, both open by default in Apple Reader. They look and function the same in the reader.

So it isn't clear to me if Calibre actually converted it to a MOBI or not.

Thank you.
Convert to KF8 (AZW3) instead of Mobi and see if that works.

#16  DiapDealer 06-04-2020, 07:55 AM
Quote JSWolf
Convert to KF8 (AZW3) instead of Mobi and see if that works.
Seriously? It's only two posts back where it was discussed that the Kindle reading apps for iOS won't handle KF8.

#17  JSWolf 06-04-2020, 09:31 AM
Quote DiapDealer
Seriously? It's only two posts back where it was discussed that the Kindle reading apps for iOS won't handle KF8.
A better solution is to forget Kindle for iOS and get an ePub reader and use that.

#18  jhowell 06-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Quote JSWolf
A better solution is to forget Kindle for iOS and get an ePub reader and use that.
That won't solve the problem. As per this thread SigilBear intends to produce a book to sell to Kindle users.

#19  Deskisamess 06-04-2020, 09:48 AM
I've used the Books app on my iDevices, but it's not a great app. The options are limited, and I wish it had margin and line spacing control. I don't read novels too often on my iDevices, so it's not a huge deal. For cookbooks etc, it's ok.

At least the Kindle app has those options.

#20  Hitch 06-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Quote Deskisamess
If the book is opening in the Apple Book app, it's not a mobi.
No, wait, guys, that's not right.

You can, absolutely, (Assuming this hasn't changed recently) open a MOBI in Kindle4iPad or Kindle4iOS, but the file you see isn't how the book would look if published. You'll see more of a KF7 (old-style) mobi, than you would how the book would actually appear.

To do that, to see the file correctly, as Diap and others mentioned, you have to go the dreaded AZK-->iTunes-->App-->Kindle reader-->method. The wired to the computer, method.

But, unless something's changed in the last few weeks of which I'm unaware, you can still email a MOBi to your iPad and open the file in K4iOS, isn't that right? You just get the wrong "version" when you do that, of the rendered file. Has that changed?

(OR, you could email the mobi to your Kindle email address, which is an option for the OP, but the fact that the Open With option isn't working kind of indicates that the file isn't right somehow.

May I ask a stupid question of the OP?

OP, you said "icon." Not filename, icon. Are you one of those folks who has file extensions turned off, on your computer? Are you sure that the file you're looking at is named "myfile.MOBI"? Can you SEE the filename? Not the icon, the actual filename?

Is it possible that "Open with" for Kindle doesn't recognize the file because a) the file extension isn't "visible" to it, or b) because the file extension ISN'T mobi, but perhaps is AZW3?

Hitch

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register