Mobileread
Hisense A5C, A5 Pro CC, color e-ink phones
#91  mdp 06-12-2020, 04:46 AM
Quote Yoko22
"if the resolution would be a problem due to the colors wouldn't we see it in the different video online" By that I was also trying to say that if the resolution is so different we should see it with the naked eyes in the video online but maybe it is not so different so we can't see the different unless we inspect it more closely
You have to have the right video footage. You cannot "see" what happens in a situation if it was not recorded. You should point to some video frames (which must be very high resolution and very crisp - you do realize that the videos and the device have, in general, comparable resolutions, and that video recording is not necessarily as crisp as a static shot (not to mention low-bitrate dynamic compression), right? You should see details of the renderings on the display on a high-res video - like, one quarter of the screen on a four-times as big video), which show possible critical behaviour - text rendered in colour, coexistence of images and text, pdf rendering, rich web pages etc.

#92  mdp 06-20-2020, 10:55 AM
I just found on Reddit (from new owner u/ribcookie) a very nice picture of the Hisense a5pro cc.
Still not answering the matter of "How and how well are PDF files rendered" and similar*, but showing very well how the "white-ish mélange" looks like and gives some (reassuring) suggestion about how graphics are treated.

*(note: one of the triggers of my former notes is having kept impressed a FAQ in our forum, about using reflective displays for programming. The practice of programming implies syntax highlighting, which is rendering vectors in many colours. These phones will probably see programming as a very, very unusual practice owing at least to their size, but the question about "How does sky-blue or mauve text look like on some colour-filtered e-ink display based implementation" is very relevant to that aim and similar.
Of course, a question about something more frequent like "Will a tinted link anchor in an hypertext look as clear as the surrounding text" remains valid.)
Hisense a5pro cc - home crop.jpg 

#93  mdp 06-20-2020, 12:05 PM
Quote mdp
Not all tricks are feasible, nor all tricks are employed. In fact, for example, such device will have to rely heavily on A2 to display video. Now: will such A2 be employed cleverly or not? Because, for example, I have seen devices using a Floyd-Steinberg dithering for A2 rendering: which has the gigantic drawback of using very heavy randomness in a hardware technology which has the characteristic of having a breakthrough low cost in retaining dot state, and conversely a massive cost in changing such dot state (of dots which also have a limited lifetime) - thus losing the power efficiency of E-Ink's EPD. Clever dithering on EPD not only generically looks nice: it is also supposed to change as little dots as possible. Implementation not granted at all.
I believe I have just seen a video, recorded at close range to see the details, of an Hisense phone playing video: it seems to use a naïve dithering for A2 implementation. Not cleverly engineered, it will gratuitously drain your battery.

Well, that described above was just an example of "nor all tricks are employed". Probably a good one: it seems it was also factual.

#94  tracey1 07-05-2020, 03:29 AM
Is there a Hisense phone with a matte, non-reflective EPD in the making ? If not - why the hell not ?

Also, is there any update on possible google play functionality in the future ?

#95  charlie - uk 07-11-2020, 01:15 PM
Quote tracey1
Is there a Hisense phone with a matte, non-reflective EPD in the making ? If not - why the hell not ?

Also, is there any update on possible google play functionality in the future ?
The Hisense A5, has a matt screen protector on it which is OK. I just bought a Hisense A5CC colour e-ink phone, and put a matt screen protector on it, which is OK. Google Play functionality is available for the A5. You'll have to wait a bit for the pro & colour versions....

BROTECT AirGlass Matte Glass Screen Protector for Hisense A5, A5C, A5CC

#96  Waiting4somethin 07-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Quote charlie - uk
The Hisense A5, has a matt screen protector on it which is OK. I just bought a Hisense A5CC colour e-ink phone, and put a matt screen protector on it, which is OK. Google Play functionality is available for the A5. You'll have to wait a bit for the pro & colour versions....

BROTECT AirGlass Matte Glass Screen Protector for Hisense A5, A5C, A5CC

What do you make of the graininess of the colour? Are you ok with it or does it bother you?

I don't think I will mind, but I don't use/like regular smartphones, so I have low standards - the yotaphone 2 was my first smartphone, and I've used eink phones exclusively ever since.

#97  charlie - uk 07-11-2020, 05:40 PM
Quote Waiting4somethin
What do you make of the graininess of the colour? Are you ok with it or does it bother you?

I don't think I will mind, but I don't use/like regular smartphones, so I have low standards - the yotaphone 2 was my first smartphone, and I've used eink phones exclusively ever since.
For me, I do a lot of reading & like to be able to use my devices outside. E-Ink devices excel at this. I like the colour, E-Ink devices. They are great for web browsing & video in colour. THe colour is muted but nice, compared to Oled screens which are brash & pop. And the added benefit of long battery life is great too...

#98  mdp 07-12-2020, 08:52 AM
Quote tracey1
Probably because specialized glass is more resistant to scratches than matte surfaces, and palm devices (foremostly phones) are "treated worse" than tablets (incl. readers). (Probably also for reasons of streamlining in production.)

Do not get me wrong: using matte screens is a basic requirement and the difficulties that exist in order to finalize purchased devices to make them ready for use is shocking.

To equip your devices with a matte film, it seems to me currently that you should look for technicians' shops (mobile devices repairs etc.) that equipped themselves with plotters and professional grade matte films. Those films that can be moved for some time after being placed on the glass - those not immediately adhesive - are those I am calling "professional grade".
See here my latest rants and headaches on the matter.

#99  mdp 07-12-2020, 08:55 AM
Quote charlie - uk
I just bought a Hisense A5CC colour e-ink phone
Good! Why don't you do us a favour and take close, detailed (sharp) photos that include text, coloured text (like links in a webpage) and pictures? I guess webpages and PDF files are good targets.

EDIT: You could take pictures of these pages, in the right places.

For example: in page 6 of the current thread there are posts from DaleDe and pdurrant: a picture taken of their name and avatar would be interesting. In the left column you get a green text instance ("pdurrant"), a black one ("the grand mouse 高貴的老鼠"), graphics and a picture (pale blue shaded boxes and the picture of a mouse), surrounded by other graphics for the dates, rectangles etc. I guess a picture including those details would already be telling. That green text to be compared to the black and grey ones is important.

Also, a shot of what is below this sentence, in this post, could be of interest - from the coloured text to the bird.

This is a test.
This is a test. Oh, look, a bird, a bird here below!
This is a test.

#100  eReader fan 07-12-2020, 09:31 PM
I just post a thread discouraging all of you to buy from Shenzhen store on aliexpress. Me and many users from here have had problems with them.

The post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...25#post4011125

I just read the reviews on CECT-SHOP on the colour Hisense phones and no one regrets of the colour choice and one says the colour screen is a good one.

By the way Charlie - Uk, from where did ou buy the phone?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (10/13)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register