Mobileread
PRS-T1 Dictionary Freezing
#11  4691mls 05-21-2020, 12:18 PM
Quote DoctorM
Oh, don't get me wrong, the one that bricked is only one of 3 Sony T1's that I own (I recently gave away a Kindle 1). I don't need anything else yet.

I know it was my own screwing around that killed the reader, but I THOUGHT it was what I had previously done that made my other reader 100% bug free for years.
Apparently it wasn't.

The thing is, the bricked device has a good display. I'm now hoping to swap that out with a flawed display in a good reader.

Still, I often wonder how manufacturers fix this sort of thing. They must have another way into the systems when they brick.
Sounds like you enjoy tinkering with old devices. Maybe you can find parts (or an old reader to be used for parts) on ebay.

#12  Ghitulescu 05-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Quote 4691mls
The dictionary on the Sony T-series readers does not require the internet.
I know that.
However, when I mentioned internet, it was double-fold:
first, that if one doesn't need a function, one should not use it then cry wolf
secondly, that accessing the internet, besides filling the Sony with a lot of ballast, may also have unwanted side-effects (background updating of software, firmware, libraries (dictionaries) etc., and these different versions of software, firmware, OS, libraries may collide.

Reports are that accessing the dictionaries could freeze the Sony. I used it only once, but I am not sure whether it was the T1, T2 or T3 (I have all 3), just out of curiosity. It didn't lock.

Not using the dictionary feature is a small price to be paid with the reward of a nice, elegant ereader. I only miss the backlight.

#13  4691mls 05-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Quote Ghitulescu
I know that.
However, when I mentioned internet, it was double-fold:
first, that if one doesn't need a function, one should not use it then cry wolf
secondly, that accessing the internet, besides filling the Sony with a lot of ballast, may also have unwanted side-effects (background updating of software, firmware, libraries (dictionaries) etc., and these different versions of software, firmware, OS, libraries may collide.

Reports are that accessing the dictionaries could freeze the Sony. I used it only once, but I am not sure whether it was the T1, T2 or T3 (I have all 3), just out of curiosity. It didn't lock.

Not using the dictionary feature is a small price to be paid with the reward of a nice, elegant ereader. I only miss the backlight.
Dictionaries are a standard function of ereaders. We shouldn't have to avoid using the dictionary in order to avoid the dictionary locking up.

As for the internet - one big reason a lot of people (including me) bought the Sonys was because they had the ability to get library books directly on the device (this no longer works due to Overdrive system changes over the years, but at the time we bought the readers it was an important function for many of us.) Sony didn't issue a lot of updates anyway (unlike Kobo which seems to be continually tinkering with theirs.)

My T3 never developed the dictionary lockup problem. I think T2 and T3 users here generally reported that they were bug-free. So whatever the problem was with the T1, Sony apparently got it fixed for the T2 and T3.

I'm glad your reader still does what you want it to do. Since you have no interest in the dictionary, maybe your T1 will keep going for a long time!

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register