Mobileread
Moon+ Reader Pro sync across devices
#11  Tikker 05-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Quote trocchietto
there is one thing I do not get. Is possible to sync ONLY the book settings metadata( number of page I am reading, highlights) in dropbox/GDrive WITHOUT transferring/uploading my books into the cloud?
I think so. inside of the miscellaneous option, when you hit the gear for dropbox config you get the checkbox to backup the book. I suspect if you uncheck that, it won't

haven't tried it tho, since that's how I propagate the books to other devices

#12  stumped 05-29-2017, 12:10 AM
For me the sync to cloud does NOT back up the book, it only sends last page read & annotations etc to dropbox, not the book.
works fine but I manually have to put the book onto both devices

maybe I missed an option though - I will re check next time I am using it. I would not want the book sent back to dropbox as i'ts already there in a copy of my calibre library!

#13  MilesAhead 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Quote stumped
For me the sync to cloud does NOT back up the book, it only sends last page read & annotations etc to dropbox, not the book.
works fine but I manually have to put the book onto both devices

maybe I missed an option though - I will re check next time I am using it. I would not want the book sent back to dropbox as i'ts already there in a copy of my calibre library!
If my understanding is correct, the bookmark feature is implemented too simply. I believe a page number is stored in DropBox in the file. If you try to read the same book on a large laptop or desktop machine and tablets/phones the pages will be all different sizes. A better approach would be how many characters into the file. Then each platform could do the math to figure which page to display.

I started reading a book on my 17" Laptop PC and trying to continue reading on my 7" tablet was a chore in hitting the next page button until I recognized my place in the story. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult once the reader opens the book to seek in the file someplace at least close to where the reader left off.

#14  stumped 06-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Quote MilesAhead
If my understanding is correct, the bookmark feature is implemented too simply. I believe a page number is stored in DropBox in the file. If you try to read the same book on a large laptop or desktop machine and tablets/phones the pages will be all different sizes. A better approach would be how many characters into the file. Then each ...
Moon stores two things in dropbox, one is the current chapter count, 2 is some offset from start of that current chapter.. i know about chapters because if I edit a book - e.g. remove one foreward or epigraph section, then send that to another device and sync, the sync is off by one chapter.

I always bookmark at a chapter start so the other issue does not affect me.
i have not checked the page offset thing but if you are right then changing font size on the same device and reloading bookmarks should cause them to point wrongly - a simple test. NB moon loads only the current chapter to RAM and in fact it splits extra large chapters with a 1/2 mark which loads the next section when tapped. ( that is at about 70 pages on my tablet).

PS having rechecked the dropbox section of preferences , there is a simple tick / untick for whether a copy of the book is sent to cloud. I leave it unticked, my books are already in the cloud, in a calibre library backup

#15  Purple Lady 06-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Quote MilesAhead
If my understanding is correct, the bookmark feature is implemented too simply. I believe a page number is stored in DropBox in the file. If you try to read the same book on a large laptop or desktop machine and tablets/phones the pages will be all different sizes. A better approach would be how many characters into the file. Then each platform could do the math to figure which page to display.

I started reading a book on my 17" Laptop PC and trying to continue reading on my 7" tablet was a chore in hitting the next page button until I recognized my place in the story. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult once the reader opens the book to seek in the file someplace at least close to where the reader left off.
The page number is not what is stored because that would not work at all. It stores what percentage of the book you read so far.

#16  stumped 06-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Quote Purple Lady
The page number is not what is stored because that would not work at all. It stores what percentage of the book you read so far.
yes, I'd forgotten that, but if you go to dropbox and open the sync file for that book in a text editor, you can see an nn.n number which will be the percentage. There are actually 2 files per book , the other one looks gibberish in notepad but I think it holds annotations and highlights

it does also use a chapter / file pointer, that is evident if you edit a book in a way that changes the underlying number of html files before sending it to the other device.
not sure exactly how it works, it may be a simple count that works with the TOC e.g. open with the file linked to the nth toc entry.

#17  MilesAhead 06-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info.

#18  SynrG 12-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Should be enough for some inspired soul to write a plugin. A tremendous Christmas gift to the community if anyone is interested. I imagine such a plugin would need to:

- Correlate filename in Dropbox & book within Calibre library
- Compare timestamps of book position updates from Calibre vs. Moon+ to decide which one is most recent
- Offer to update position based on "more recent" page# (assumes clocks are in sync)

To map x, y & z into something usable by the plugin requires an understanding of each of the supported formats. The following is just guesswork based on examination of several books in pdf and epub formats. I invite further comment.

- Moon+ .po format appears to be: uuuuuuuuuuuuu*x@y#zzzzz:pp.p%, where u is a 13-digit Unix epoch timestamp in milliseconds, p is the progress percentage, and x, y & z are indices into the structure of the document
- i think percentage is only for display purposes and is not useful for navigation to the position
- i think x in a pdf is logical page#
- i think x in an epub or mobi is a section index (could be from content.opf, Nth zero-based <itemref> which in turn can locate <item>, and from there, the link to the file)
- i think y in an epub or mobi is a secondary section index (in most books, is 0, but when non-zero, x seems to be the Nth zero-based <itemref> from which 0% is computed, whereas y identifies the <itemref> currently being read)
- i think z (absent in pdf) is a zero-based character# offset from the beginning of the file for the identified section, i.e. x, or if y is non-zero, then y instead

I looked at toc.ncx navMap as an alternate way of finding the section, but then "y" doesn't make sense, i.e. in books which don't have every file that is listed in the <manifest> also listed in toc.ncx, "y" doesn't seem to correspond to anything useful within toc.ncx.

#19  SynrG 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Quote stumped
There are actually 2 files per book , the other one looks gibberish in notepad but I think it holds annotations and highlights
The .an file does indeed contain annotations. To read it, you need to zlib-decompress it. It is raw zlib, so you need to add back the "magic number" as per https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/49066

e.g.

Code
$ printf "\x1f\x8b\x08\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00" |cat - ~/Dropbox/Apps/Books/.Moon+/Cache/Beyond\ Common\ Ground\ -\ Alden\ Thompson.epub.an |gzip -dc
Further reverse-engineering will be needed if we want to do something with this. But some of the numbers contained within it are bound to correspond to the position information I reverse-engineered from the .po files in my prior post.

#20  trocchietto 12-29-2017, 04:49 AM
I wrote an email to the dev
to update the FAQ

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register