Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Comics
#611  salty-horse 05-31-2022, 11:13 AM
Quote ilovejedd
Plus, I really liked how they provided DRM-free CBZ backup options if the publishers allowed it (e.g. Image Comics).
Looking at it another way, now they provide even more DRM-free options than before.

#612  ilovejedd 05-31-2022, 06:03 PM
Quote salty-horse
Looking at it another way, now they provide even more DRM-free options than before.
To me, the backups made with DeDRM tools aren’t as good as the native CBZ files.

The CBZ had much higher quality images compared to what you’d get from azw3/kfx. To get high quality Kindle backups, you had to manually extract the HD images from the azw6 files (downloaded using Kindle for PC) and combine them together.

#613  GlennD 05-31-2022, 06:55 PM
Quote ilovejedd
To me, the backups made with DeDRM tools aren’t as good as the native CBZ files.

The CBZ had much higher quality images compared to what you’d get from azw3/kfx. To get high quality Kindle backups, you had to manually extract the HD images from the azw6 files (downloaded using Kindle for PC) and combine them together.
I'd be interested in the resolution of the images you got from the native CBZ files. I convert the kindle file to epub in calibre; use kindle as the input profile and tablet as the output profile, that way the images don't get resized. Then I have a batch file that does the work of converting the resulting epub to a CBZ. (If anyone is interested in more detail, feel free to send me a note, we're probably stepping over the bounds of this topic as it is.)

The most recent ones I did were some Moon Knight collections, I ended up with each image file being 1248x1920 resolution. Does anyone have a CBZ backup they could check for the resulting resolution?

#614  ilovejedd 05-31-2022, 07:40 PM
Quote GlennD
I'd be interested in the resolution of the images you got from the native CBZ files. I convert the kindle file to epub in calibre; use kindle as the input profile and tablet as the output profile, that way the images don't get resized. Then I have a batch file that does the work of converting the resulting epub to a CBZ. (If anyone is interested in more detail, feel free to send me a note, we're probably stepping over the bounds of this topic as it is.)

The most recent ones I did were some Moon Knight collections, I ended up with each image file being 1248x1920 resolution. Does anyone have a CBZ backup they could check for the resulting resolution?
Moon Knight is a moot point since that's Disney/Marvel and has DRM.

There's a file size limit for JPG so I'm attaching azw3, azw6 and cbz samples of the same page in a zip file.

On an iPad Pro 12.9" (2732x2048), the difference in quality between the azw3 and cbz is especially noticeable. The compression artifacts on the azw3 version is very obvious on the large iPad.

The azw3 image was extracted using KindleUnpack so there should be no additional quality loss due to recompression. The azw6 image was extracted using a python script I found in these forums.

For what it's worth, the total size of the image repacked CBZ from Monstress #1 (source comic) are as follows:

15.02 MB Kindle azw3
66.72 MB Kindle azw6
123.82 MB Comixology cbz
[zip] ImageQuality.zip (3.23 MB, 27 views)

#615  ZodWallop 06-01-2022, 05:25 PM
Quote GlennD
I convert the kindle file to epub in calibre; use kindle as the input profile and tablet as the output profile, that way the images don't get resized. Then I have a batch file that does the work of converting the resulting epub to a CBZ.

Save yourself a step. Don't convert at all. Import the .azw to remove DRM. Open the .azw file with the Calibre book editor and pull the images from the file that way. Same 1248X1920 resolution.

#616  salty-horse 06-02-2022, 05:48 AM
OFF-TOPIC

Quote ZodWallop
Save yourself a step. Don't convert at all.
I think you're reading too much into the "conversion" involved. It's just extracting of files, and repacking them in zip/rar. Why would you skip that step if your goal is to have a CBZ/CBR?

I did notice another problem, that some comics use text that's separate from the image, so I'm missing the dedication from American Born Chinese.

#617  ilovejedd 06-02-2022, 08:23 AM
Quote salty-horse
I think you're reading too much into the "conversion" involved. It's just extracting of files, and repacking them in zip/rar. Why would you skip that step if your goal is to have a CBZ/CBR?

I did notice another problem, that some comics use text that's separate from the image, so I'm missing the dedication from American Born Chinese.
@ZodWallop is advocating to skip conversion to EPUB using Calibre.

I haven’t really used Calibre in a long while. However, back when I used it, even with tablet as output, it would still do lossy JPEG to lossy JPEG recompression instead of just using the original images as-is. One of the reasons I prefer using KindleUnpack instead.

#618  salty-horse 06-02-2022, 08:57 AM
Oh, I missed that epub step. Yes, this isn't necessary.

#619  ZodWallop 06-02-2022, 11:39 PM
Yes. Just open the de-DRMed .azw with the Calibre ebook editor. No need to convert to .epub.

I open the .azw file with the editor, right click to select all images and export them to a folder that becomes a .cbz.

#620  GA Russell 06-04-2022, 04:04 PM
I picked up Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1.
https://www.amazon.com/Asterix-Omnibus-Collects-Golden-Sickle-ebook/dp/B08BK4M21B/

The text of the dialogue is too faint for me to read. I don't see an ability to enlarge.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (62/63)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register