Mobileread
Boyue Likebook Mars and ghosting
#1  renatopdalencar 04-28-2020, 09:42 PM
Hello there!

In this video, it's pointed out that he Mars displays some heavy ghosting of previous pages when reading comics, something that apparently doesn't happen on the Kindle Oasis. I wonder if this problem is inherent to the Likebook Mars, or a matter of configuration and/or using an e-ink friendly reading app. I understand that KOreader is one, so maybe using it, I could set the device to refresh after every page turn and so get rid of the ghosting showed in the video? My main use for the device would be reading .cbz manga and black comics, along with ebooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHat2omvR1U&t=212s

#2  ottischwenk 04-29-2020, 05:18 AM
Quote renatopdalencar
Hello there!

In this video, it's pointed out that he Mars displays some heavy ghosting of previous pages when reading comics, something that apparently doesn't happen on the Kindle Oasis. I wonder if this problem is inherent to the Likebook Mars, or a matter of configuration and/or using an e-ink friendly reading app. I understand that KOreader is one, so maybe using it, I could set the device to refresh after every page turn and so get rid of the ghosting showed in the video? My main use for the device would be reading .cbz manga and black comics, along with ebooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHat2omvR1U&t=212s
It is a matter of both the screen setting and the app selection.
Mars can do A2 mode (fluent but not completely refreshing) - something the Oasis can't

#3  renatopdalencar 04-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Quote ottischwenk
It is a matter of both the screen setting and the app selection.
Mars can do A2 mode (fluent but not completely refreshing) - something the Oasis can't
I see. A2 mode isn't something that particularly interests me, because I much prefer a "perfect" and clean image, than a fast page turn. Do you think that using an app like KOreader (which is intended for E-ink screens) along with the right settings (like refresh after every page, if possible), I could get a clean image with no ghosting in every page?

#4  ottischwenk 04-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Quote renatopdalencar
I see. A2 mode isn't something that particularly interests me, because I much prefer a "perfect" and clean image, than a fast page turn. Do you think that using an app like KOreader (which is intended for E-ink screens) along with the right settings (like refresh after every page, if possible), I could get a clean image with no ghosting in every page?
I had a Mars and was able to sell it with a clear conscience.
Now I have Ares and Alita and of course you can generally set both so that each page is refreshed.
I don't know about Koreader because I don't use it.

#5  Incanus 04-29-2020, 07:13 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Now I have Ares and Alita and of course you can generally set both so that each page is refreshed.
I don't know about Koreader because I don't use it.
Yes, you can set KOReader for Android to refresh after every page.

Hopefully helpfully,

[INCANUS]

#6  renatopdalencar 04-29-2020, 11:40 PM
Quote Incanus
Yes, you can set KOReader for Android to refresh after every page.

Hopefully helpfully,

[INCANUS]
Yes, you were indeed extremely helpful. Thank you so much! Now the only thing that makes me wary of getting the Mars is the number of people reporting about having dead/frozen units after not using them for a while or after a firmware update. Since you got a Mars yourself, what's your take on this matter?

#7  Incanus 05-01-2020, 08:37 AM
Quote renatopdalencar
Yes, you were indeed extremely helpful. Thank you so much! Now the only thing that makes me wary of getting the Mars is the number of people reporting about having dead/frozen units after not using them for a while or after a firmware update. Since you got a Mars yourself, what's your take on this matter?
I've never had any issues with firmware update and freezing after on my Mars.

For the other bit, I read daily so I really couldn't tell you.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

Enviado desde mi SM-P350 mediante Tapatalk

#8  bazz2004 05-25-2020, 03:28 AM
I have the Alita and my general take is that without A2 activated the reading experience is slow. With it activated you get ghosting. As for viewing comics having tried a few apps they all disappoint. First of all these devices lack a colour screen so you lose all the life and joy of the comic experience. Secondly, I've been spoilt by reading them on a PC using YAC which is brilliant. On Android e-readers there is no YAC (Yet another comic reader) application or anything that comes close. No way would I recommend an e-reader for those into comics/mangas etc. For some time now I've struggled to find anything Boyue e-readers are good at.

#9  ottischwenk 05-25-2020, 04:17 AM
Quote bazz2004
For some time now I've struggled to find anything Boyue e-readers are good at.
Then read outside or even in the sun.

#10  bazz2004 05-25-2020, 07:03 AM
True, but not a very useful factor considering that my Kindle and the wife's Kobo can be also be used in bright sunlight. They were a fraction of the price of these Boyue units. The Kindle and Kobo devices are also dead easy to use - they've had the bugs ironed out by the developers.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register