Mobileread
Formatting Troubleshooting
#1  Igorlima 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Hi!
I would like to know if its possible to adjust the space between the indent and the word so it becomes more uniform. See the red circle in this picture. Some option in calibre, maybe? This book is in .kfx format. If here is not the place to post this, i'm sorry and would be glad if someone could tell me where i should address this "problem".
Thank you!
photo_2020-04-26_17-56-01.jpg 

#2  jhowell 04-26-2020, 06:00 PM
Regular spaces can vary in width. You might try using a fixed-width space between the opening dash and the first word. Something like an M-space ( ).

#3  Igorlima 04-26-2020, 06:04 PM
Quote jhowell
Regular spaces can vary in width. You might try using a fixed-width space between the opening dash and the first word. Something like an M-space ( ).
Thank you for the response!
But could please tell me how I can do this? Its through calibre? Sorry, im really dense about those kind of stuff

#4  jhowell 04-26-2020, 06:38 PM
You could try making the change in the calibre editor. The process is too complicated for me to describe here easily.

#5  Tex2002ans 04-26-2020, 06:46 PM
We just discussed this exact issue in extreme detail a few months ago:

No break space and alignment

There are a few very hackish solutions in there that you could test.

#6  Igorlima 04-26-2020, 08:33 PM
Quote Tex2002ans
We just discussed this exact issue in extreme detail a few months ago:

No break space and alignment

There are a few very hackish solutions in there that you could test.
Thank you! will check this

#7  Notjohn 04-27-2020, 04:20 PM
The case you have circled is simply Kindle obeying the default of justified text, adding a minute bit of space to each space between the words. The easy but unhappy way to remedy this would be to specify left-aligned text. Most people would probably not object. Even I am willing to read ragged right books, though I do so with a feeling of disdain for the formatter.

The problem has been much lessened in recent years with the introduction of Enhanced Typesetting and automagical hyphenation, awful as the results sometimes are.

#8  Igorlima 04-27-2020, 04:48 PM
Quote Notjohn
The case you have circled is simply Kindle obeying the default of justified text, adding a minute bit of space to each space between the words. The easy but unhappy way to remedy this would be to specify left-aligned text. Most people would probably not object. Even I am willing to read ragged right books, though I do so with a feeling of disdain for the formatter.

The problem has been much lessened in recent years with the introduction of Enhanced Typesetting and automagical hyphenation, awful as the results sometimes are.
I see, thank you for those informations! Could you tell me please how Enhanced Typesetting would help me with this problem? Sorry but I still don't know exactly what that is. And as for automatic hypenation I already tried that with the "Hyphenate This!", v0.0.9 plug in, but I still got uneven formatting in some lines
specify left-aligned text solves this problem indeed, but I thought you could get a perfect alignment with justified mode too... The same we get in physical books.
But for example. The picture I sent in my first post was a book I bought on amazon converted in calibre to .kfx. The book amazon gives me is one with perfect alignment but it has odds spaces in both side of the pages. If could have that alignment but without those spaces in the sides, Its all that I want I will link the same page of my first image in the book on the original format
photo_2020-04-26_17-56-05.jpg 

#9  JSWolf 04-27-2020, 05:01 PM
Quote Igorlima
I see, thank you for those informations! Could you tell me please how Enhanced Typesetting would help me with this problem? Sorry but I still don't know exactly what that is. And as for automatic hypenation I already tried that with the "Hyphenate This!", v0.0.9 plug in, but I still got uneven formatting in some lines
specify left-aligned text solves this problem indeed, but I thought you could get a perfect alignment with justified mode too... The same we get in physical books.
But for example. The picture I sent in my first post was a book I bought on amazon converted in calibre to .kfx. The book amazon gives me is one with perfect alignment but it has odds spaces in both side of the pages. If could have that alignment but without those spaces in the sides, Its all that I want I will link the same page of my first image in the book on the original format
There is nothing you can do to fix this. It shortens some lines to prevent wide gaps when the text is full justified. If it really bothers you, you can buy a different brand Reader.

#10  Igorlima 04-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Quote JSWolf
There is nothing you can do to fix this. It shortens some lines to prevent wide gaps when the text is full justified. If it really bothers you, you can buy a different brand Reader.
I see. Thats ok, I will just have to deal with it. I was just wondering if it was possible to make perfect typography in justified. I was bothered thinking something could be done and, as I am really dense about e-books, I wouldn't know. Now that I'm seeing its something impossible to do, I will have to get used to it.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register