Mobileread
How to find a matte LCD phone?
#1  norweger 04-03-2020, 01:15 PM
My old matte LCD phone from 2014 is broken, and I need a new phone with such a display, but where do I find that? Everything is AMOLED or spunky shiny vibrant LCD now.

The only thing that comes close, that I've seen, is the Cat S61. It's sort of matte, but not really.

#2  mdp 04-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Quote norweger
My old matte LCD phone from 2014 is broken, and I need a new phone with such a display, but where do I find that? Everything is AMOLED or spunky shiny vibrant LCD now.

The only thing that comes close, that I've seen, is the Cat S61. It's sort of matte, but not really.
Sorry I will answer to the spirit not to the letter.

I am excellently served by "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters". You reach their stand and have the matte film applied, in my experience with amazing, encomiable results.

Of course displays must be matte. But there is some percent of buyers that use them, in full dark (hopefully), to experience vibrancy for their own pleasure as part of a rite, and the market is aware of that underground sect. Given that, it seems, you cannot make a matte display glossy, but you can make a glossy display matte with a film, this came the way - and while insane, considering the whole we are lucky to have a way to make things rational again.

#3  norweger 04-03-2020, 03:41 PM
I am not really sure I got your humor. We're at a forum for devices that are easy on the eyes. I find old LCDs easy on the eyes, contrary to new AMOLEDs.

#4  AnotherCat 04-03-2020, 05:19 PM
Quote norweger

I don't know, off hand, of any phones but one can buy matte screen protectors for phones in glass and, I think, film. I have never used screen protectors nor had a desire for matte so I cannot vouch for them, but they may be something for you to consider if no suitable phone turns up.

#5  norweger 04-03-2020, 06:07 PM
My eyes are more comfy with displays that are less shiny. But leaving shiny vs matte aside, my gripe with new displays is that they have this yellowish tint on all whites. New AMOLEDs are the worst in this respect. And besides, they've prioritized vivid colors instead of realistic. To some extent you can change the settings, turn down the saturation, but only to some extent.

#6  Quoth 04-04-2020, 05:38 AM
Toothpaste? Very slow.

Shiny is cheapest. Decent Matt finish is really expensive.

Actually a lot of LCD backlights have a purple cast and will get more violet with age. OLED works differently, it's not real LEDs, but diode like electroluminescent dots with phosphors so the colour shifts with age.

#7  norweger 04-04-2020, 08:40 AM
My original post was half asking for advice, and half a sigh. I wish realistic ("matte") was most expensive, so the very best phones had realistic displays, but alas. Though expensive, OLED actually seems a better alternative than AMOLED, like in the newest Sony, though old LCDs are kinder to my eyes.

#8  Quoth 04-04-2020, 10:27 AM
Quote norweger
OLED actually seems a better alternative than AMOLED, like in the newest Sony.
AMOLED = OLED.
Though Sony did have some monitors and demoed one TV with real LEDs, called Crystal LED, seeing as the Marketing people have "used up" LED on both LCD and OLED/AMOLED
Am = Amorphous
O = Organic
LE = light emitting
D = Anything with a diode like characteristic, current only flows properly one way.

Though there are variations in the phosphors, underlying device, deposition and colour layout.
Originally all (no extra space)
RGB RGB RGB
RGB RGB RGB
later to reduce need for x3 resolution subpixels:
GB GR
RG BG

Then they had various four colour schemes adding in Yellow pixels as they are x2 brighter on LCD (LCD uses a dye filter overlay) and somewhat brighter on OLED phosphors.
Real LEDs only use phosphors in lamps/lighting, "White" LEDs and backlights. Actual white LEDs do not exist. They are blue, violet or UV with yellow phosphor (if blue) or mixed phosphors otherwise. An R G B LED is three LEDs in one package using 3 chips. They are useless for room lighting but OK for backlights (though rarer because expensive), true R G & B LEDs will give wrong colours off reflected light as really orange, yellow, cyan etc will be dark, red, green or blue. The CRT, Plasma, LCD, OLED, DLP etc displays are all a trick, it only looks like colour to us and some animals with similar retinas. No good for many birds and likely Aliens

#9  stumped 04-04-2020, 10:29 AM
surely a matte screen protector is easily sourced- it may be described as an anti-reflective screen cover - same thing - basically just a bit of transparent plastic film.

you could probably buy a tablet sized one and cut it to size.
the plastic ones are cheap, and can be cut, but the hardened glass ones cannot

#10  Quoth 04-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Quote stumped
surely a matte screen protector is easily sourced- it may be described as an anti-reflective screen cover - same thing - basically just a bit of transparent plastic film.

you could probably buy a tablet sized one and cut it to size.
the plastic ones are cheap, and can be cut, but the hardened glass ones cannot
I'd have thought so, but being mean I rubbed the screen of my secondary laptop with toothpaste for ages. It's a very fine non-scratch abrasive. Don't use a gel (no abrasive) or "Pearl Drops" (too abrasive).
I've no idea of the effect on a touch screen, so try an unimportant corner

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register