Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for February 2020 • It Takes Two to Tango: Collaborations
#41  CRussel 01-13-2020, 10:20 PM
Yes, it was those 90% multi-use Kobo coupons.

Charlie.

#42  issybird 06-01-2020, 08:12 AM
Quote Catlady
I nominate a book about perhaps the greatest musical collaborators of the twentieth century: Something Wonderful: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution by Todd S. Purdum (2018, 400 pp.).
I finally got around to reading Something Wonderful this past weekend; it was a great read. It did a lot to enhance my appreciation for R&H as I’ve been in the camp that said each man was better served by an earlier partnership, Rodgers with Hart and Hammerstein with Kern. But what seems like kitsch due to long familiarity was groundbreaking, and their reputation was not well-served by the film versions of their great musicals and of course that’s how we mostly know them now.

On a personal note, the original production of The Sound of Music was my very first Broadway show as a little girl, although not while Mary Martin was in the cast as I’m not quite that old, and I’ve always thought the show far better than the treacle-fest of the movie. How could they cut “How Can Love Survive?” and “No Way to Stop It”? And there was that ridiculous and tedious puppet show just to get in The Lonely Goatherd which had been displaced from its original position in the show.

#43  fantasyfan 06-01-2020, 08:38 AM
I've always loved those Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. Just this morning some selections from Carousel were on the radio. But your comment about the puppet show brought another and (IMO) more successful cinematic use of puppets to mind. One of my favourite films is Lili with Leslie Caron and Mel Ferrer.

I have always felt that the puppet sequences in that film were so amazingly moving. But then I'm a sentimentalist.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register