Mobileread
OpenOffice to ePub export extension
#11  andymillson 02-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I am running OOo on Mac OSX 10.6

I have downloaded all 3 versions of the plugin from this forum, and installed them

Only the first one seems to make any change to OO. I get an export to epub button, but only with 0.0.9. If i try the other two, I cannot see any change. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Andy

#12  eBookLuke 02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote andymillson
I am running OOo on Mac OSX 10.6

I have downloaded all 3 versions of the plugin from this forum, and installed them

Only the first one seems to make any change to OO. I get an export to epub button, but only with 0.0.9. If i try the other two, I cannot see any change. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Andy
Some of them are .zipped files, please unzip it and launch to install. Newer versions will replace the olders

Luke

#13  Guns4Hire 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote eBookLuke
If you can open a file in OOo Writer, you can save it in .epub.

But the purpose of my extension is not a mass conversion (look at Calibre for this), but a quality conversion. My goal is to obtain a clean and perfect epub with just a click. No setups, no parameter regolations, just what you see on the screen is what you get in epub.

Moreover, the generated code wants to be easily readable when opened with a epub editor, as Sigil, and to be a good base for advance editing.

Luke
Yes thats along the lines I was thinking. I do use Calibre and Sigil as well. Calibre is great but when I convert txt books I get tons of the question marks. Even though the txt eBooks are clean and in good shape. Ive used Sigl to go through and correct these. Buts its massively time consuming.

Just being able to import txt into OOo and creating an epub and then importing it into Sigil for more advanced editing would be a great thing.

#14  andymillson 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote eBookLuke
Some of them are .zipped files, please unzip it and launch to install. Newer versions will replace the olders

Luke
Using the default Mac GUI zip utility unzipped the files as a folder, using the CLI unzipped them as an .oxt.

Installing this worked

Now to do some testing

Thanks again Luke for the plugin and your help

Andy

#15  ghostyjack 02-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I've tried this extention in Open Office and I've got a strange result when I am exporting any small capitals.

I end up getting: <p>&lsquo;S\ko\k\km\k\ke\k\ko\k\kn\k\ke\k \ki\k\ks\k \kl\k\ko\k\ko\k\kk\k\ki\k\kn\k\kg\k for you, captain.&rsquo;</p>

for the line: ‘Someone is looking for you, captain.’

"‘Someone is looking" is the part is small caps.

Are small caps working in this yet?

#16  kiermel 02-21-2010, 05:31 AM
When you add support for images and the creation of Table of Contents from heading1, heading2, etc... and will that is lacking. Without that, it is now unusable.

Thanks for the work

#17  eBookLuke 02-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Quote kiermel
When you add support for images and the creation of Table of Contents from heading1, heading2, etc... and will that is lacking. Without that, it is now unusable.
The TOC, the image and the metadata support are in working progress. If you look inside the macro you will find code for all functions

At the moment, you can open the generated e.pub with Sigil, and manually put the images, create the TOC and edit the matadata. This also corrects some small errors that prevents validation...

Luke

#18  eBookLuke 02-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote ghostyjack
Are small caps working in this yet?
Small caps are not yet supported. The code you get was a resudual from the odt2pml code I use in my macro. But the last (0.1.8) version doesn't anymore generate this wrong code...

Luke

#19  Jacques_N 02-21-2010, 10:33 AM
I tried to create a simple epub file, but the result file was not correct, therefore no EPub Reader could open it.

I found at least two errors:
- toc.ncx was missing
- there was an useless tempfile in the epub storage.

Did i something wrong?

Jacques

PS. my mistake, i used version 0.0.9 :-(
Where can i find the recent version and how to update to newer version?
[epub] Beispiel.epub (2.4 KB, 744 views)
[rar] Beispiel.rar (21.3 KB, 806 views)

#20  roger64 02-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Quote kiermel

Thanks for the work
I agree with the above comments.

I use a lot OpenOffice to produce PDF ebooks, because of the so convenient PDF button.
I wish it would be the same with an EPUB button.

Now, to produce PDF ebooks with OpenOffice, I get on with only two "tools":
- one ad hoc 9x12 model (this is the drawback of the PDF format, you have to publish for one size only) but with obvious advantages: easy TOC creation -handling of heading levels- , management of endnotes, insertion of images, justification of text...
- in case of need, one macro (to strip the Gutenberg kind of text from their inconvenient "hard returns".

I know calibre can convert from odt to epub, but as I am not fluent with the epub format, I have not been able to check if it could be of any use.

Thanks you for your efforts.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/21)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register